The Princely State of Devalia, formally known as Devlia, was one of the prominent princely states of India that was administered by a native prince under the guidance of the British authorities. The princely state was under the indirect control of the British Empire in India. The state was scattered over a total area of 11 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 837 in the year 1931. The taluka of Devalia was situated in the District Thana of Wadhwan. The territory consisted of 2 villages, namely Aniali and Devalia. The swang villages were further divided into 5 scattered areas. It was situated in a single condensed block of land. It was bounded by the territory of Deodar II, princely state of Palanpur, princely state of Tharad, princely state of Wao and the estates of Kankrej Thana. The princely state of Devalia should not be confused with another state containing the same name, located in Pandu Mehvassi and linked with Uchad.
The Princely State of Devalia was bordered by Bhalala and the princely state of Lakhtar in the north; by Talsana in the east; by Tavi in the south; and by the state of Gedi in the west. The former princely state of Devalia was incorporated as a part of the Baroda Agency, which was a sub division of the Western India States Agency. Later the territory was merged with the state of Gujarat. The native state was also a part of the Eastern Kathiawar Agency and the District Thana of Wadhwan as well.
The Princely State of Devalia or Devlia was claimed by more than one native ruler who were formally addressed as shareholders. There were 2 such shareholders in the state of Devalia. Both shareholders of Devalia state were Jhala Rajputs, bhayats of the princely state of Limbdi. The native state of Devalia was a non- jurisdictionary princely state. The estateholders of Wadhwan District Thana were primarily individuals of substance, well educated and were politically aware, unlike the shareholders of other Kathiawar Thanas. Devalia state paid an annual tribute to the princely state of Junagadh. According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, the princely state of Devalia was attached to the princely state of Limbdi. The territory was amongst of the 29 units that were attached in the initial phase of the scheme which followed the lead of Ghodasar and Bhadwa in declining to recognize the power and authority of the attaching of princely states.
The last ruler of the princely state acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India, also known as Dominion of India after the Indian independence on 15th August 1947. Later the territory was merged with the modern state of Gujarat, India.
(Last Updated on : 19-06-2012)