The internal police force, prisons, and the collection of excise duties and taxes were under the management of the native rulers as well. Athgarth state was one of the original constituent members of the Chamber of Princes, a number of smaller states indirectly represented by 12 princes who were elected periodically by them.
History of Princely State of Athgarh
The ruling family of princely states like Athgarth, Dhenkanal and Baramba were descendants of the Gajapati kings of Orissa; where as the rulers of Keojhar, Daspalla, Baud and Mayurbhanj were descendants of the Gangas. The Native ruler of the princely state of Athgarth, who held the official title of Raja, was the head of the Karan caste of Orissa and the recognized title of the ruler was Srikaran Bebarta Pattnaik; and claimed to beKayasth descent. The region of
Athgarth was established by Sri Karan Niladri Bebarta Patnaik, belonging to the Karan caste, during the 12th century. According to local beliefs, the Minister of the Raja of Puri, known as Bebarta, was conferred the title of Raja by the ruler of Puri and as areward for his loyal services, gave him the region of Athgarh. But other accounts state that it was given as part of the dowry of the sister of the Ruler of Puri on her marriage to the Bebarta or minister. The princely state paid a lump sum amount in tribute to the British administration.
After the country achieved independence on 15th August 1947, the last ruler of the princely state of Athgarh acceded his state to the newly formed Union of India, also known as Dominion of India. It was incorporated as a part of the district of Cuttack in Orissa state in the year 1949.
Rulers of Princely State of Athgarh
The chronology of the rulers of the princely state of Athgarh are discussed below-
* Raja Niladri Bhagirath Barman Patnaik (1178- 1218)
* Raja Dandapani Biwarta Patnaik (1218- 1253)
* Raja Jagannath Biwarta Patnaik I (1253- 1283)
* Raja Srikaran Narayana Bebarta Patnaik (1681- 1709)
* Raja Srikaran Rama Krishna Bebarta Patnaik (1709- 1741)
* Raja Srikaran Debia Singh Bebarta Patnaik (1741- 1771)
* Raja Srikaran Gopinath Bebarta Patnaik (1771- 1821)
* Raja Srikaran Krishna Chandra Bebarta Patnaik (1821- 1825)
* Raja Srikaran Rama Chandra Bebarta Patnaik (1825- 1837)
* Raja Srikaran Bhubaneshwar Bebarta Patnaik (1837- 1862)
* Raja Srikaran Jagunath Bebarta Patnaik II (1862- 1869)
* Raja Srikaran Bhagirathi Bebarta Patnaik (1869- 1893)
* Raja Srikaran Raghunath Bebarta Patnaik (1893- 1896)
* Karan Vishvanath Bawarta Patnaik (1896- 1918)
* Karan Radhanath Bawarta Patnaik (1918- 1947)
|More Articles in Princely States of India (466)|