(Last Updated on : 30/12/2011)
Ballal Dhipi is a place which is popular for its historical significance. It is located in the Nadia District
in the state of West Bengal
. The place did not come to the notice of Archaeological Survey of India
(ASI) until 1980s. For over hundreds of years, a 30 feet mound spread over an area of 1, 300 sq feet has stood at Bamumpukur, a village near the town area of Mayapur
. The name has been given by the local people. The name has been derived from the famous ruler of Bengal in late 12th Century AD, from Sen Dynasty named Ballal Sen. Not many people are aware of the existence of the place, but slowly it is growing to be a sough after tourist destination.
The ASI started digging the place for the first time in 1982 and then again in the year 1988. The two rounds of excavations uncovered some of the striking aspects of the place, and its historical significance. Gigantic brick structure in an extensive yard surrounded by walls. Stucco heads, terracotta human and animal figurines, copper utensils and other objects were found at the site.
History of Ballal Dhipi
Ballal Dhipi got its name from the great ruler of Begal who reigned for a period of 18 years from 1160-1178. Ballal Sen, son and successor of Vijay Sen, was the second ruler of the Sen Dynasty of Bengal. From the existing Kuljigranthas, Ballal Sen is known to have started social reformation in Bengal, mainly in the system of Kulinism. Apart from being a virile conqueror, he was also known for his writing skills, which is evident from the two complete books he wrote that are still famous. One being "Daan Sagar" and other one is "Advut Sagar".
Remnants of Ballal Dhipi
Presently the ASI has declared Ballal Dhipi as a place of national importance. The site is very well preserved. The architecture of the place is one of the major attractions to the tourists. The walls encircle a complicated maze. There are stairs that lead to the top of the mound. On the left side of the titanic structure there are few minor constructions. The main structure contains stucco stone head of a crocodile, which probably worked as a water outlet.
On the top of Ballal Dhipi, the stairs merge with a brick path, leading inside the gigantic structure. The passage is narrow, roofless and flanked by high walls. The backside offers a panoramic view of the compound.
The wall around the yard is surrounded by another wall. The outer wall, of which only fragments remain, is adorned with beautiful brickwork. The magnitude of the structure can be gauged from the thickness of the wall.
Sadly enough, this happens to be only stucco work left in the sites. Other terracotta figures and stucco stone, along with the artefacts excavated, have been removed to Ashutosh Museum of University of Calcutta
There are regular trains available from Sealdah Railway Station
. From Krishnanagar
the place can be reached in 45 minutes via bus.