In regard to the density of the population Alappuzha is among the foremost of the districts of the state of Kerala. In respect of its literacy rate also it stands first among the other districts of this state. It is the only district of Kerala, which has no area under the high lands. The rice bowl also known as 'Kuttanad' is in Alappuzha. The total production of rice here is ten percent of the total production of the entire state. It is also regarded as the most important center in the state of Kerala for coir industry because most of the coir factories of the state are sited in this district. The port of Alappuzha owes its origin to the ingenuity and imagination of a great administrator known as Raja Kesavadas who constructed the two chief canals running parallel to each other through the heart of the town connecting the backwaters and the seashore. In 1792 the port was open for foreign trade. In the year of 1862 the lighthouse was put under the supervision of a European engineer Mr. Crawford. The growth and development of the Cochin harbor marks the beginning of the decline of the market and port of Alappuzha.
The culture and the tradition of Alappuzha district are almost similar to that of the other districts of Central Kerala. This district has made a significant contribution in the development of Malayalam language and literature. The district can also be proud of being the center of the snake boat races. In the arena of trade and industry Alappuzha still remains a central market in the state of Kerala and supports in the production of coconut oil, copra, oil cakes and coir. It is also the major production center of coir and various types of coir products in the state. In the fisheries map also this district has carved a niche for itself. The Arabian Sea being on its western boundary Alappuzha has rich marine resources. No important daily is published in Alappuzha but the various media of mass communication including radio, newspapers, and films are playing a very important role in the educational and the cultural development of the state. In the present times reaching Alappuzha has become very convenient as with the opening of Alappuzha-Changanacherry road in the year 1958 the district has the credit of having a network of good motorable roads. The commercial canals connecting the nook and the corner of the district of Alappuzha are also considered as its lifeline.