Sirumalai and Peranai are the two prominent picnic spots of this district in Tamil Nadu state. There are nine dams in this district which are Varathamanathi, Palar Porundalar, Kuthiraiaru in Palani Block, Parappalar and Nanganchiar in Oddanchatram Block, Maruthanathi, Kamarajar Sagar in Athoor Block, Mavoor in Nilakottai Block, Kudaganar in Vedasandur Block, which helps in irrigating the agricultural fields in this district. The Nilakkottai is known for brass vessels and jewellery. Nilakottai Taluk is well-known for the growing and marketing of flowers and grapes. Oddanchatram is a reputed market Centre for vegetables and Batlagundu is an important market Centre for Tomato. Pattiveeranpatti in Batlagundu block is renowned for cardamom and coffee curing enterprises.
Dindigul Fort is one of the best tourist destinations in the district. The construction of this fort was started by Madurai King, Muthu Krishna Naicker in the year 1605 and from the year 1623 to 1659 Mannar Thirumalai Naicker completed the construction of this fort. From 1784 to 1790 the Fort was under the rule of 'Tipu Sultan'. In the year 1784, the Tipu Sultan's Commandant Syed Ibrahim, under whose care the Fort was, constructed many rooms in the Fort, strengthened the walls and also got repaired. During the year 1790 in the Mysore War, Tipu Sultan was defeated and the Fort came into the hands of British. This fort thus holds a prominent place in the history of pre-independent India and people visit this place to have a glimpse at the old fort once under the control of the great Tipu Sultan.
When Hyder Ali ruled Dindigul, he constructed three Mosques. One for himself for Namaz, another for his soldiers underneath Rock Fort and the third in the south of Rock Fort for public and gave more grants for the maintenance and upkeep of the same. In the 1766 AD, Ameer-un-Nisha Begum, the wife of Killedar Mir Riza Ali Khan and the younger sister of Hyder Ali Bahadur, was dead and buried in the compound of the Begambur Big Mosque. A Tomb was constructed on it. In memory of the Royal lady this part of Dindigul is known as Begambur.
Sirumalai is a small hill station in the district which holds a number of birds and animals. The place is well-known for trekking and mountaineering. Apart from this, there is the St. Joseph Church, which is located in this district. The church was constructed since 1866 to 1872 by the British. This church is the Head Church of all other Roman Catholic Churches in Dindigul District.
|More Articles in Dindigul District (4)|