(Last Updated on : 30/01/2013)
History of North Cachar Hills District
refers that this region was a part of Kachari Kingdom before 1832. The kingdom was extended from Yamuna River
in the north to the foot-hills of Lushai Hills in the south, from Kopili River in the west and Katcha Naga Hills beyond the Dhansiri in the east. Dimasa Kachari kings had their capitals in succession at Dimapur
, Maibang, Kashpur and lastly at Horitikor (Karimganj District
). In 1830, Dimasa king Gobinda Chandra was assassinated after that the British East India Company
annexed the southern part of the kingdom on 14th August 1832 under the Doctrine of Lapse
. Dimasa General Tularam ruled the rest. In the year 1837, a portion of Tularam's kingdom was further annexed to the British Empire and constituted into a sub-division of Nagaon District
in 1837 with its headquarters at Asalu. In the year 1854, after the death of Tularam, the remaining portion of his kingdom was finally annexed to the British Empire and was added to Asalu sub-division.
Historical accounts of North Cachar Hills District also recollects that in the year 1867, Asalu sub-division was abolished and distributed into three parts among the districts namely Cachar District
, Khasi Hills
and Jaintia Hills
and Nagaon District
. The present North Cachar Hills district was included in the old Cachar district with Asalu being only police outpost. In the year 1880, this portion was constituted into a sub-division under Cachar district. This headquarter was shifted to Haflong
in the year 1895. Since then Haflong continues to be the headquarters of Asalu sub-division. In the year 1951, after commencement of the Constitution of India
, North Cachar Hills as specified under Paragraph 20 of the sixth schedule to the constitution, ceased to be a part of Cachar district.
According to the history of North Cachar Hills District, this part along with Mikir Hills constituted a new civil district namely "United District of North Cachar and Mikir Hills" with effect from 17th November, 1951. Further, as per the provision of sixth schedule, two different councils were constituted later on, namely North Cachar Hills District Council and Mikir Hills District Council within the geographical territory of that district. North Cachar Hills District Council was inaugurated on 19th April 1952. Further, on 2nd of February, 1970, government declared an independent administrative district, that is North Cachar Hills District with the geographical boundary of autonomous North Cachar Hills District council. Presently, this autonomous council possesses administrative control over almost all the departments of the district except Law and order, Administration and Treasury Departments.