Khanpur is situated on the Patiram-Trimohini road about 18 Kms away (North-East) from Balurghat town. The place is famous for the Tebhaga movement. History tells us that in the year 1946, the share croppers of this area raised a movement for establishing their three-fourth percentage share of the crops. To combat this movement the British Force along with local zamindars started various oppressive measures including plunder, fire, etc. In the face of such oppression, the movement, instead of subsiding further flared up. The local cultivators also lent their whole-hearted support to the movement. On 20 February, 1947, a large contingent of Police force went to Khanpur to arrest the leaders of the Tebhaga Movement. Under the leadership of Sri Chiarshai Sekh, the people disconnected the road. The Police arrested Smt Jasoda Rajbanshi, wife of NilKantha Rajbanshi (Party Secretary), Sri Gopeshwar Das Mohanta, Sri Ghutui Kolkamar, Sri Gajimuddin and Sri Sashi Barman. However, the share croppers under the leadership of Chiarshai Sekh succeeded in snatching away those arrested cultivators from the police jeep and damaged the vehicle. The Police then opened fire. As per reports, police fired about 121 rounds upon the public. As a result 21 (twenty one) cultivators died on the spot. Among these victims were people belonging to the Hindus, Muslims and the Schedule Tribes. There is a small memorial in the spot on which is inscribed the names of the patriotic souls Historically probably the most important of all places in the entire district,
Bangarh boasts of the largest share of archaeological ruins and icons to be found in South Dinajpur. It is situated 45 Km away from Balurghat town and 65 Km from Malda town. Bangarh was the capital of Koti Barsha district. During the Gupta period, the whole of North Bengal was known as Pundra Vardhana Bhukti (Pradesh). It was again sub-divided into number of Vishayas (district). Koti barsha was one of the districts. Its old name was Debkot/Debikot. In a radius of 8 Km of this area, different ancient archaeological remnants have been found. Under the leadership of Prof Kunja Gobinda Goswami the excavation work was done between 1938-I941. After excavation, many historical objects and archaeological ruins have been found beginning from the Mauryan era to the Muslim period. Some of the notable items found here include a 11th century manuscript of King Naipala, four pillars of granite stones, walls of buildings, four pillars of granite stones and even the grave of Bakhtiyar Khilji.
Bairhatti is another important historical site located in the eastern side of the Srimati River. Its distance is about 35 Km from Gangarampur and about 60 Km from Malda. Many icons and archaeological objects have been found in this area. Some of these are kept in the Police Station and Block Office. The Dehaband village is situated close to Bairhatta. It is another historically famous site, and a number of ancient icons are still found in the area. The icons discovered in the areas of Harirampur, Gangarampur, Kushmandi have their own style, different from that of the North Indian style. Ruins of an ancient town surrounded by boundary wall can be found here. This distinct style of sculpture was evolved by the two famous artists namely 'Dhiman' and 'Bitpala'.
Mahipal Lake is situated at a distance of 60 Km from Balurghat and 30 Km from Gangarampur. During the period of Pala Dynasty, Mahipal II, dug this lake. On the northern bank of this lake there was a 'nilkothi' of Mr. Tomas who was a close friend of William Kerry. At that time, William Kerry was also in-charge of another nilkothi at Madnabati (Malda district). The distance from Mahipal to Madnabati is about 30 Km. The ruined buildings of nilkothi still attracts the people of this locality. During winter, a large number of migratory birds flock to this place.
The College museum of Balurghat, though a small one, is worth seeing. Many antique collections including coins, inscriptions, sculptures, terracotta, ornamental stones, etc. of ancient ages are preserved here. Two inscriptions have been deciphered by Prof A K Goswami which is of tremendous significance in view of understanding the religious belief of the Pala period.
Hili is famous as the international Indo-Bangladesh Border Checkpost. On the way to Hili, Bangladesh Border can be seen just by the side of the road.
(Last Updated on : 30-12-2013)
|More Articles in South Dinajpur District (4)|