(Last Updated on : 19/06/2013)
The monuments of Alwar
are an impressive display of the architectural splendour of the Rajput rulers. The greatest draws of Alwar are its forts and palaces, apart from other places of religious worship constructed centuries back. The monuments of Alwar are a top draw for tourists visiting any part of Rajasthan
Also known as the tiger gate of Rajasthan, it is protected on all sides by a rampart and moat, except where the hills crowned by the fort secure it from attack. There are five gates to the city, within which lie the chief buildings. It is perched amidst a cluster of hills on the Aravalli mountain range
The town of Alwar is the former capital of the state of Alwar. For a long time the people of the state valiantly defied foreign resistance, and fought against all outside influence. They even formed a group and raided Delhi in the 12th and 13th centuries. However, they were all brought under Muslim rule when they were defeated by Sultan Balban. It was in 1771 that Maharaja Pratap Singh, a Kuchhwaha Rajput of Macheri won back Alwar from Muslim rule. He went on to found the independent principality of Alwar.
A number of monuments are found in Alwar, all of them a glowing tribute to the architectural heights achieved by the Rajasthani sculptors.
A number of religious monuments are also to be found at Alwar. Most of these are dedicated to Hindu gods since the Rajput rulers of the region were Hindu by faith.
An ancient Jain temple
is also to be found at Alwar. It is dedicated to the eighth Trithankar Shri Chandra Prabhu Bhagwan. It is adorned with elaborate carvings, paintings, exquisite pillars, and arches. It is an important site of Jain pilgrimage.
Another pilgrimage site found here is that of Bharathari
. It revolves around the legend of King Bharathari who is said to have wandered about in this region in exile. He did this as penance for harboring suspicions against his younger brother Vikramaditya, the renowned king of Malwa.
Also when taking off from Tehla village, along the way, is seen a remarkable sight of ruins which are several centuries old and marvelously carved temples which are studded on a small hillock. There is a highly venerated temple of Lord Shiva
here which is worshipped even today. Equally remarkable is a giant statue of the 23rd Jain Trithankar, locally known as the Nogaza. It has been carved out of a single block of stone.
Some Muslim tombs are also to be found here. The Tomb of Fatehjang
built in 1647, is a local landmark, with a huge dome and internal plasterwork ornament in low relief. The Tomb of Tarang
the brother of Emperor Firuz Shah Tughlaq
is also found here. It was built in the mid seventeenth century and is called the Tripolia. Besides these religious monuments a number of historical monuments are also to be found in Alwar.
The monuments of Alwar bear ample testimony to the heights reached by the Rajasthani craftsmen in the field of art and architecture. They evidence the might and majesty of the fearless Rajput warriors and excellent artistry and engineering skills of the sculptors of the age.