(Last Updated on : 15/12/2014)
Yoga for Obesity
is advised due to various important factors. Obesity is the condition, when the body weight exceeds the requisite normal weight. Accumulation of fat deposits in the body tissues results in obesity. When a person starts eating beyond a normal limit set before him, imbalance sets in. Such a condition of the body is not good and gives birth to several discomfort and even serious diseases. Indiscriminate eating without any wisdom to control leads to an invariable obesity. The fast life of modern times has caused this malady, affecting many.
Reasons for Obesity
There are several reasons for obesity. Stress plays a vital role in causing obesity. Psychological disturbances often drive a person to seek comfort in food. Children suffering from such disturbances, have a tendency to become obese. Improper dietary habits can influence an individual to obesity. Consuming foods rich in sugar
, fats, starch, and highly processed foods, prompts extra weight gain. Technological advancements in modern life have induced less physical activity. At homes, people use electrical gadgets to save on hard physical labour, thereby, resulting in inactive lifestyle. Nervous tension and disturbances, improper functioning of the endocrine glands or digestive disorders also causes obesity. Intake of drugs like steroids can make an individual crave for more food and enhances the hunger level Obesity may be caused by genetic factors, though some psychological, environmental, and some other factors also play a role.
Yoga Controls Obesity
Obesity is highly preventable through proper diet, Yoga
and altered lifestyle. Yoga is most suitable to accelerate the treatment of Obesity. The Yoga principle on healthy diet and the practice of the Yoga asanas
will help balance the endocrine system, tone the abdominal organs, stimulate both the nervous and circulatory system, and reduce stress. Yoga also helps one to gain a better understanding of ones self, thus leading to acceptance and appreciation which will help to eliminate the psychological reasons for obesity. The practice of Yoga deals with all the aspects of an individual, including the mind, body and spirit. This gives a person control over his mind and body, thus making the effect more permanent than other treatment methods. Obesity may become reason for various other diseases if not treated immediately.
The Yoga asanas that should be followed to cure obesity are as follows:
- It helps in straightening the spine, slowing down metabolism, promoting inner tranquility, and keeping the mind still. It promotes inner calm; thus relieving in physical and mental exhaustion and tiredness. It intensifies the state of tranquility, serenity, and eliminates anxiety.
- Warm-up poses like shoulder stretches are great in relieving stress and tension on shoulders, as well as the entire upper back.
- This asana limbers up the whole body in preparation for the Yoga Asanas. It is a graceful sequence of twelve Yoga positions performed as one unremitting exercise. Surya
Namaskar practice stimulates and conditions almost every system in the body. It is good for the heart and also stimulates the cardiovascular system. It oxygenates the blood and helps to strengthen the heart. Surya Namaskar is good for the digestive system and the nervous system as well.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana
or the Half Spinal Twist lengthens and strengthens the spine. It is also beneficial for the liver, kidneys, as well as adrenal glands. This asana massages the abdominal organs, helping to relieve constipation
, speeding up circulation and creating an aerobic effect.
- It is also called as the tree
pose. It helps to strengthen the thighs, calves, ankles and back. It can also increase the flexibility of the hips and groin. The balance and concentration can also be improved with constant practice. This asana brings proper shape to the body.
- Also called the fish pose, this asana stretches the muscles of the abdomen, back, neck and legs. It also strengthens the upper back and neck.
- This asana is also called as the corpse. It is usually practiced before or in between asanas as well as a final relaxation. It calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression. It reduces headache
, fatigue, nervousness and also cures asthma
, constipation, diabetes
, and backache
- It is a breathing technique that is used specifically for cleansing. It tones, cleanses and massages the internal digestive organs leading to healthier digestion
. It energizes and awakens the body, the lungs, and the brain.
- The simple meditation
technique is good to induce relaxation response and promotes a peaceful and relaxed mind. Meditation has also been scientifically proven to have health benefits such as lowering blood pressure, obesity and aiding the patients of asthma.
- It is the alternate nostril breathing technique, where one inhales through one nostril, retains the breath, and exhales through the other nostril. This helps to reduce fat to a considerable extent.
The Yogic philosophy has considered all aspects of Obesity and has accordingly recommended asanas encompassing the physical, emotional and mental realms. Regular practice of Yoga and healthy lifestyle reduces obesity. Yoga asanas makes human being agile, efficient and slim. The biggest advantage of Yoga, while treating obesity is that it can be practiced by any age group. Yoga helps to achieve control over mind and behavior and then the individual can easily control food habits and change life style to reduce the obesity. Yoga has diverse effect on obesity, which is permanent in nature than other methods for obesity reduction. Weight loss
is permanent but one needs to practice few important Yoga asanas regularly.