Medak Church is situated in the South Indian state Andhra Pradesh. This region is full of captivating sylvan beauty and is sanctified by the marvellous church. It is built of exclusive white granite in the grand Gothic architectural style.
As per the legend, it is said that this church with its fabulous stained glass windows was the outcome of the faithful gratitude of a large number of people wailing in a seemingly insurmountable famine. This famine had its malicious spell for three long years during the World War I. The sad people took shelter to the Reverend Charles Walker Posnett, a British Missionary. The Almighty God provided them food being pleased by the prayers. The Reverend then proposed the building to be turned to a church. It was granted very soon and the church in Medak started in the year 1914. It was consecrated in 1924 during Christmas.
This spacious Medak church can contain up to 5000 people at a time. It also has a lot of exciting features. The spiral bell tower rises to a height of 175 ft. The paintings in the church were prepared in 40 years at the London Studio by the British artist. These paintings depict the holy events from the Bible. The window in the north depicts the ascension of Lord Jesus to Heaven and it also forms a canopy to the Altar. Again, the windows on the east and west display various events right from the birth to the crucifixion of the Lord.
This place is situated about 90 km on the west of Hyderabad. Some antique treasures dating back to 3000 BC was unearthed from here by the archaeological excavations.
Among the articles unearthed were, copper, silver and gold coins and relics of Buddhist, Roman and Satavahana Eras and also limestone sculptures and megalithic graves. Those who love antique pieces can visit this place.
In the 'Bison Range' here, the wonderful waters of the magnificent Godavari River join the two districts, Medak and Godavari. This hill rises to a height of 2,280 meter above sea level at some places and thus forms gorgeous gorges in between. The vast plantations of teak and bamboo can be seen here.
This wonderful fort is situated about 75 km from Hyderabad. It has with five sturdy cascading walls on a scenic hillock. The Kakatiyas are said to have built this fort. The two of the five massive walls surrounds this hill. At the entrance of each gateway, the bastions can be seen. A flight of steps has been cut on the rocks for access in and out of the fort. A beautiful mosque of the 17thcentury can be seen inside the fort. There is also a gorgeous palace known as the 'Mubark Mahal' inside the fort. The beautiful stone houses contain the granaries, which were earlier the residences of the olden military commanders. The fort walls are adorned with Hindu-temple carvings. The carving of Kakatiyan emblem 'Gandabherunda', a double headed eagle can also be seen.
(Last Updated on : 26-07-2013)
|More Articles in Districts of Andhra Pradesh (55)|