History of Local Antiquities Museum
Local Antiquities Museum was built in the year 1951. It commenced as a small museum. Sri Hullur Srinivasa Jois is credited with the establishment of this museum. This museum is the result of his love for the local antiquities and his personal initiatives. The collection of this museum initially comprised of only the antiquities garnered from the famous site of Chandra Valli. In 1947, the Department of Archaeology and Museums took the initiative to surface these antiquities. But further excavations in the area around expanded the collection of the museum. The son of Sri Hullur Srinivasa Jois continued the tradition of his father. He was an Honorary Curator when the museum came under the administration of the Department of Archaeology and Museums sometime later.
Architectural Design of Local Antiquities Museum
The Local Antiquities Museum is known to have two rooms at the gate locally called Rangayyana Bagilu. With the aim to develop this museum, a new room has been erected atop Rangayyana Bagilu. Local Antiquities also has a well equipped library.
Exhibits of Local Antiquities Museum
The Local Antiquities Museum is a home to a variety of objects of great antiquity. Some of the authentic ancient items preserved in this museum are arms, sculptures, portraits, manuscripts, neoliths, coins, beads, pottery, ivory, iron objects, glass, ivory, and terracotta. It is important to note that the antiquities displayed in the museum are mainly of local significance. Apart form Chandravall they are known to have been garnered from Brahmagiri and Chitradurga itself. Many of these antiquities belong to the famous Nayaks of Chitradurga.
It is important to note that Chitradurga does not have an airport. Hindustan Airport (BLR) in Bangalore, Karnataka is another viable option for the visitors. Chitradurg (CTA) and Bellenahalli (BNHL) are known to be railway stations to reach Chitradurga. Chitradurga is connected to other major cities of the country by regular train services. There are regular bus services from other major cities of the country to Chitradurga. Chitradurga is located at the junction of NH-4 (Bangalore-Pune National Highway) and NH-13 (Sollapur-Mangalore National Highway). It is important for the visitors to note that guide services can be offered to the visitors on request. One would have to take the permission from the director of the museum to engage in photography inside the Local Antiquities Museum.
Indian State Museums
Museums of Karnataka
Museums Of Tamil Nadu
Museums of Kerala
Museums Of Assam
|More Articles in Museums of Karnataka (34)|