(Last Updated on : 17-11-2018)
Indian Musicians are very diverse and comprises of extremely talented individuals who are good at their respective domains of music, be it singing or playing an Indian or western instrument
. Indian Music
is considered to be one of the oldest musical traditions in the world. The origins of Indian Music system dates back to the Vedas
. Concerning the origins and development of Indian Classical music
, many legendary musicians have grown up. Some of them have gone a long way in showing the importance that music has essential Indian Culture
Notable Indian Musicians
A huge number of Indian Musicians have made it big on the global map and also have even been featured on Hollywood movies. A lot of Indian Musicians have received awards from countries around the world. Some of the noted Indian Musicians are as follows:
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
- This famous Hindustani classical
musician played a great role in popularizing the classical music all over the world. He was famous for his brilliant compositions and his knowledge of the Sarod
. He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in the year 1989.
Dr. M.S. Subbalakshmi
- Dr. M.S. Subbalakshmi was acknowledged as The Nightingale of Carnatic Music
. She was famous for rendering devotional songs. She was the recipient of Padma Bhushan
award in 1954 and Padma Vibhushan award in 1975 followed by many more awards.
Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia
- A classicist Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia is an internationally celebrated Flutist and Composer. His legacy as a flute player has been recognized by many governments worldwide. In the year 1984, in acknowledgement of his stupendous contribution to music, he was conferred the National Award of the Sangeet Natak Academy
Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
- A vocal enchanter Pandit Bhimsen Joshi is acknowledged as the leading light and descendant of the Kirana Gharana
. He was awarded the Sangeet Natak
Akademi Award by Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1998 and Bharat Ratna in 2008.
- K.S. Chitra is known as the "Nightingale of South India
" and also regarded as the builder of distinguishing honour as a playback singer
. She has own the unique distinction of being the first female singer in the history of South Indian film playback singing to be honoured by all the four southern state governments as the best playback singer.
Kundan Lal Saigal
- The first superstar of Bollywood
, K.L.Saigal, to an exceptional degree, was a good singer
and a fantabulous actor. K.L.Saigal was worshiped by the first generation of post-independence.
- Throughout the world, Lalgudi Jayaraman, an Indian Violinist is known for his grievous performances in Carnatic music through his magnetizing techniques. His complete control over the instrument and thrilling techniques makes him one of the maestros in his chosen field.
Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
- In the world of Indian classical music, one of the most dignified maestros Amjad Ali Khan is regarded as Sarod Samrat. Throughout India, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan is recognized as one of its first of all classical musicians and the maestro of his chosen instrument, the Sarod.
Ustad Bade Gulam Ali Khan
- Ustad Bade Gulam Ali Khan, an Indian vocalist
, honoured as one of the finest representatives of the Hindustani music tradition in the early and middle 20th century. He belonged to the Patiala Gharana
of Hindustani classical music. Fine musical voice, intelligence and innate discipline were comprised of a substantial contribution to the great classical vocalist Ustad Bade Gulam Ali Khan.
- Kattassery Joseph Yesudas, an eminent Indian classical musician and leading playback singer of film songs in many Indian languages
is also regarded as one of the greatest South Indian musicians of all times. K.J Yesudas is acknowledged as one of India's world-beating proponents of classical carnatic vocal music and leading playback singer in all-Indian languages.
Ustad Zakir Hussain
- Zakir Hussain is a classical tabla
consummate of the highest order. He was awarded with Padma Shri
in 1988 and Padma Bhushan in 2002. Time after time, this brilliant and stimulating performer has established himself as a national treasure in his own country.
Pandit Ravi Shankar
- Pandit Ravi Shankar was a world renowned Sitarist and a composer. From the Bharat Ratna
to the Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire
to three Grammy awards, the famous sitar
player saw it all and won it all.
- She has been respected in the Indian music industry for over seven decades. After Dr. M.S. Subbulakshmi, Lata Mangeshkar is the second vocalist ever to have been awarded the Bharat Ratna.
- Jagjit Singh was a world renowned Ghazal Singer
who is often referred to as The Ghazal King. He was conferred with the Padma Bhushan by the Government
in 2003. He performed in various countries around the world.
Ustad Bismillah Khan
- The spectacular shehnai
player, Bismillah Khan, was a musician who managed to grasp the soul of Indian culture through his music. He was a Bharat Ratna as well as a Padma Vibhushan
recipient. He is considered as a gem of India.
A. R. Rahman
- A.R. Rahman is an Indian musician, composer, singer and director who have been conferred with the many awards. From National recognition with a Padma Bhushan and four National Awards in his pocket, A.R. Rahman is internationally recognized musician who has won two Grammys.
These famous Indian Musicians have enthralled audiences of all countries and age-groups alike with their artistic renditions. Their soulful performances have earned numerous laurels and made the country proud on numerous occasions.