Early Life of Rameshwar Thakur
Rameshwar Thakur was born on 28th July 1927 at Thakur Gangti, Godda district, Jharkhand. He was educated at Bhagalpur, Patna University, University of Calcutta, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi and obtained M.A., LL.B, and F.C.A. He is a Chartered Accountant by profession since 1953. He is married to Narmada Thakur and the couple has two sons and two daughters.
Various Posts Held by Ramewshwar Thakur
During his tenure Ramewshwar Thakur has served in various posts that are listed below:
* President, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (1966-67)
* Chairman; Study Group on Banking Costs set up by the Banking Commission, Government of India (1969-71)
* Convener of Committee for Profitability (PEP), RBI (1976)
* Member Planning Commission's Committee on Voluntary Participation in Rural Development (1978-79)
* Director; Punjab National Bank (1978-82)
* Indian Fellowship of Former Scouts and Guides, (1982)
* Member Indian Parliamentary Union Conference at Geneva (1984).
* Secretary, Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Trust, since 1986.
* Member Committee of Privileges, Rajya Sabha (1986-90)
* Member Public Accounts Committee (1986-89)
* Chairman; Associated Journals Ltd., 1987
* Chairman; Asian and Pacific Region since 1988
* Vice-President; All India Bharat Scouts and Guides since 1989
* Chairman; Thakur Research Foundation, New Delhi
* Director; Unit Trust of India (4 years)
* Director; Export Credit and Guarantee Corporation (3 years)
* Director; Punjab, Haryana and Delhi Chambers of Commerce (3 years)
* Member Board of Governors Management Development Institute, Gurgaon
* Member Central Direct Taxes Advisory Committee
* Member Bihar State Planning Board
* Member Uttar Pradesh State Planning Board
* Member AICTE in Commerce
* Member Governing Board, Peoples Action for Rural Development. (Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India)
Ramewshwar Thakur led the Indian Delegation to the World Congress of Scouts, Brussels in the year 1964. He served as President of the Bharat Scouts and Guides from November 1998 to November 2001, and again after November 2004. He was the group leader to the International Congress of Accountants, Mexico in the year 1982. He headed the Fifty Asia Pacific Gathering, Colombo in 1984. Rameshwar Thakur was the leader of the Indian Delegation to the 17th General Assembly Coventry, London in1987.
In 1984, Shri Thakur was nominated to the Rajya Sabha and he was re-elected to Rajya Sabha in April 1990. He joined as the Union Minister for Finance (Revenue), Rural Development and Parliamentary Affairs for the term of June 1991 to December 1994. He was transferred to Governor Madhya Pradesh on June 24, 2009. Thakur took over on June 30. He left office on September 7, 2011.
Shri Thakur also established the trustee of Gadadhar Mishra Smarak Nidhi, which is working for the Rural Development Programme in Godda District, Santhal Parganas since 1965. He also founded a 30-Bed Hospital named as Hari Devi Rural Referral Hospital in 1976.