History of West Sikkim District
West Sikkim District is the site of the ancient state capital Yuksom. It served as the capital of royal Sikkim from 1642 for almost 50 years until it was shifted to Rabtense. West Sikkim District was under the occupation of the Nepalese for 30 years in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. After Anglo-Nepalese War (1814-1816), the district returned to Sikkim.
Geography of West Sikkim District
West Sikkim District covers an area of 1,166 square kilometers.
Demography of West Sikkim District
West Sikkim district has a population of 136,299. The district has a population density of 117 inhabitants per square kilometers. Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 10.58%.
Culture of West Sikkim District
The people of West Sikkim District are mainly of Nepali descent. Other ethnic groups include the Lepcha and Bhutia communities. Nepali is the most widely spoken language in the district.
Economy of West Sikkim District
The economy of West Sikkim District is mainly agrarian in nature despite most of the land being unfit for cultivation owing to the precipitous and rocky slopes. West Sikkim District has many power projects and enjoys almost uninterrupted electricity. The roads are in poor condition owing to the frequent landslides.
Tourism in West Sikkim District
West Sikkim District has the vast tourist attractions that include Khecheopalri Lake, where, according to legend not a leaf is allowed to fall on the surface of the lake and the Dubdi Monastery, the first monastery of the state of Sikkim. The other tourist attractions in West Sikkim District are Pemayangtse Monastery, Sanga Choeling Monastery, Darap village, Geyzing, Yuksom, Tashiding Monastery, Khecheolpalri Lake, Rabdentse Ruins, Kanchengjunga National Park, Goecha La, Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, Legship, Biksthang, Pelling and Yangtey.
|More Articles in Districts of Sikkim (7)|