Preparation of Methi Chaman
Methi Chaman is very simple dish that is easy to cook where fenugreek and spinach leaves are blanched and pureed. Oil is tempered with cumin seeds and chopped onion nicely fried. Puree is then cooked in the oil along with few ground spices. Finally paneer and cream is added to the gravy to give richness to the dish.
To Roast and Grind:
1. Blanch spinach, fenugreek leaves, onion and green chillies for 4-5 minutes and strain the water. Cool and grind to a paste. Keep aside.
2. Soak 6-8 cashew nuts and 1 tbsp melon seeds in a few tbsp of warm water for 3-4 minutes. Cool and grind along with soaked cashew nuts. Keep aside.
3. Heat a pan and dry roast fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom and cumin seeds. Let cool and grind to a fine powder.
4. Heat 3 tbsp oil in the same pan and shallow fry the paneer cubes until slightly golden in the edges.
5. Drain them completely and soak them in the milk.
6. In the same oil add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
7. Add a fistful of raw methi leaves and saute for 3-4 minutes. Do not burn them.
8. Add salt, roasted powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and combine well.
9. Add the ground paste and let it cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Add a cup of the strained water and cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes.
10. Add the cashew nut and melon seeds paste and fresh cream. Combine well. Cook for 4-5 minutes on low to medium flame. Keep combining in between and cook to get the desired gravy consistency.
11. Add the fried paneer and cook on low heat for a minute. Add salt and sugar and mix well.
12. Once done, heat a pan with 2 tsp ghee and fry the raisins until golden and fluffed up. Add this to the curry and mix well.
13. Serve hot with rotis or pulao.
|More Articles in Kashmiri Cuisine (9)|