Recipe for Homemade Xacuti Masala Paste:
Combine all the above ingredients into a frying pan. Add some oil and stir fry until brown and fragrant. Grind all this into a processor with 1 cup water to a smooth paste. The homemade Xacuti masala is ready which can be used in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
Ingredients for Mushroom Xacuti:
1. Firstly wash the mushroom or wipe them with a clean cloth. Keep them immersed in water for some time. Chop them into medium chunks.
2. Take a pan add little oil. Saute onion until it changes colour. Add green chillies and sugar.
3. After 2 mins add grated coconut along with desiccated coconut.
4. Put the readymade xacuti masala and saute for 2 to 3 mins more. Ensure it doesnt stick or burn at the bottom. If using homemade xacuti masala then avoid this step and the step below.
5. Grind the roasted onion, chilli, coconut and xacuti masala into a processor. Ensure the paste should be smooth. Add little water if required.
6. Now take a big wok and add oil. Once oil is hot add the rest of onion. Saute for a minute then add ginger-garlic paste.
7. Saute for another 2 mins. Its time to add tomatoes. Cook for 2 to 3 mins more until tomatoes leaves moisture.
8. Add potato chunks stir nicely. Cover with a lid for 3 to 4 mins on low flame.
9. Remove the lid add water as consistency required.
10. Now pour the above grounded paste or homemade Xacuti paste.
Stir all nicely allow to cook for another 4 to 5 mins on low flame.
11. Add mushrooms and coriander leaves. Cook for another 2 to 3 mins.
12. Finally add coconut milk and salt for seasoning. Cook for 2 mins more. Just check if potatoes are cooked. Switch off the gas.
13. Serve hot with bread, rice or just like a stew. Garnish with coriander leaves.
|More Articles in Goa Cuisine (8)|