Early History Raigad District
Early History of Raigad District deals with the rich history of Mauryas, Satavahana kings, Kushanas and Bhoja Dynasty of Madhya Pradesh. Earlier Raigad District was the trade center. The trade in 225 BC had been through the openings of the Sahyadris by the Bor, Devasthali, Kumbha and Sevtya passes. It is probable that at that time the entire Kolaba coast was ruled by a power which had its sway over both the Konkan and the Deccan and trade in the ports mentioned above shrank from foreign commerce to local traffic when Kolaba became part of Gujarat ruled by a local Chief. Later the Bhoja Dynasty ruled this place. From 1st Century AD, this area was ruled by the Kushanas. In 125 AD, Gautamiputra Satakarni of Stavahana defeated Nahapana and annexed the southern provinces of this region. Later the Vakataka ruled this place with pomp and power. In the later phase of early history of Raigad District, the Traikutakas ruled this region along with the other provinces of Southern Gujarat and Konkan. These kings used the era of 248AD-249 AD, which probably speaks of their relation with Abhiras.
Medieval History of Raigad District
Medieval History of Raigad District deals with the civil strifes and decline of Mughal dynasty and Marathas. The begining of medieval history of Raigad District was from Shilaharas of South Konkan (765-1015). Later, Chalukyas, Rashtrakuta and Yadavas of Devgiri ruled this palce peacefully. The inclusion of Delhi Sultanate and the Mughal Dynasty in India distrurbed the peaceful history of Raigad. In 14th Century AD, Kobala was made filled with defensive forts and fortess along with Western Ghats.
Modern History of Raigad District
Modern history begins from the decline and the disintegration of Marathas and the annexation of British East India Company. Kolaba district was formed and splitted from Thane district in the year 1869. However at this point the northernmost parts of modern Raigad district were retained in Thane district.
(Last Updated on : 22-10-2014)
|More Articles in Districts of Maharashtra (138)|