History of Anjengo Fort
In the 17th century, the Queen of Attingal granted the British East India Company the right to establish a factory and a fort at Anjengo, which became the companys first trade settlement in Kerala. The Anjengo Fort was erected in 1694. The fort was raised as the first signaling post for the ships that arrived from England. Anjengo Fort was also the first permanent station of the British East India Company on the Malabar Coast.
The fort played an important role in the Anglo-Mysore Wars of the 18th century. Anjengo Fort was attacked several times by various rival forces in order to gain control of Kerala.
Architecture of Anjengo Fort
Compared to the other forts in Kerala, Anjengo Fort lacks some typical look and characteristics of a fort. It is more like an enclosed bastion with high laterite walls. The fort also has some lookout points and there entrances on east and west. The fort includes various buildings inside the premises. There is a cemetery in the fort precinct which served as the burial site for the former occupants of the building. A lake named Muthalapuzhi Lake is also located in the nearby area.
Present Condition of Anjengo Fort
At present, Anjengo Fort is maintained by the Government of India and is protected as one of the National Heritage Monuments. The site is now open to all tourist and visitors.
How to Reach Anjengo Fort
Anchuthengu is about 36 km north of Thiruvananthapuram. The nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport. Kadakkavur railway station is 2 km away.
|More Articles in Deccan Forts (33)|