History of Alamparai Fort
Alamparai was a seaport in historical times. The place had other names like Idaikazhinadu, Alamparva and Alampuravi. The Alamparai Fort has been constructed in the 17th century during the reign of the Mughal Dynasty. Earlier the Alamparai Fort had a long dockyard of almost 100 metres that stretched into the sea. It is from here that salt, ghee and zari cloth were exported. The fort was ruled by Nawab of Arcot, Doste Ali Khan in the year 1735 AD. Later in the year 1750 the fort was presented to the French for the services rendered by the well known French commander Dupleix to Subhedar Muzarfarzang, the fort was given to the French. A decade later, during the Anglo-French Carnatic Wars, the fort was captured and subsequently demolished by British forces. Since that time the site has received only limited attention from archaeologists, who nevertheless have discovered coins minted on site, as well as various weapons and artefacts from its mercantile and military past. In 2004 the Alamparai Fort suffered additional damage due to the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.
Alamparai Fort had been a prime sector for trading for the Arcot Nawabs. They had a mint there. Much later after the request of the Dumas, the governor of Madras Presidency, the people who worked in the mint of Alamparai later moved to Puducherry. There they established a mint with the approval of the Nawabs of Arcot.
Present Scenario of Alamparai Fort Presently, there are only the remains of the Alamparai Fort that attracts some explorers. At present it serves as a beautiful spot with backwaters and cool sand. Tourists from different places visit this ancient fort, where they can enjoy boating. The local fishermen take the tourists for a round around the fort. The Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation (TTDC) listed the fort as one of 20 lesser known tourist spots in the state. The Corporation listed the fort in the international tourism fair held at Berlin.
Architecture of Alamparai Fort
The Alamparai Fort covers an area of 15 acres and is built of granite, bricks and limestone and at its centre there is a mausoleum. There are tall walls around the fort and brick steps lead to the top. The watch tower from the fort provides good view of the surroundings.
Visiting Information on Alamparai Fort
The Alamparai Fort is well connected with all modes of transports. The fort can be reached from the East Coast Road, about 100 km from Chennai, 5 km from Vedal and 50 km from Puducherry. The nearest railway station is at Chengalpattu at about 68 km northwest of the Alamparai Fort and the Chennai International Airport is the closest at a distance of about 108 km.
|More Articles in Monuments of Tamil Nadu (54)|