(Last Updated on : 02/07/2012)
The Princely State of Gedi was appointed as an Indian native state under the indirect supervision of the British administration. The Indian princely state was managed by native estateholders under the guidance of the Political Agent or the Resident of British India
. The state was spread over a total area of 2 sq miles and comprised of a total population of 951 in the year 1931. The taluka of Gedi was located in Bhoika Thana and the territory consisted of 2 villages. The villages were located in 2 distinctive blocks of territory. The larger and southern block was surrounded by the princely state of Limbdi
, except to the southwest, where it was bounded by the southernmost block of the territory of Talsana. It included the village of Gedi, around 10 miles towards the northeast of the town of Limbdi. The northern block was much smaller and was situated within the District Thana of Wadhwan, which was squeezed between the princely state of Devalia to the east and the princely state of Bhadvana to the west.
Bhoika Thana was a corridor of minor estates which detached the princely state of Limbdi to the east from the princely states of Chuda and Wadhwan to the west. The area was bordered by the British district of Ahmedabad
in the south. Almost all of the 18 estates in the region, excluding only one estate, were offshoots of Limbdi state. In 1935, the region was merged with the District Thana of Wadhwan in order to form the new territory of Wadhwan Bhoika Thana, for convenience purposes. The new territory included around 35 estates, which covered a total area of 347 sq miles and comprising a total population of 38,719 in the year 1931.
The Princely State of Gedi was a significant part of the erstwhile Baroda Agency, which in turn was a under the administrative control of the Western India States Agency
. Eventually the territory was incorporated as a part of the Indian state of Gujarat
. Gedi state was also a part of the Eastern Kathiawar Agency
and the territory of Bhoika Thana.
The Jhala Rajputs, bhayats of Limbdi, were the shareholders the territory. The princely state of Gedi was claimed by a number of native princes, who were also known as estateholders. There were 2 such shareholders in Gedi. The native state was a non- jurisdictionary princely state. The estate holders of Bhoika Thana were well learned and educated and were aware of the political scenario in the nation, unlike the other shareholders in other Kathiawar Thanas. Almost all of the shareholders possessed substantial financial resources which improved their status amongst the native rulers of other states. The shareholders of Gedi state paid annual tribute to the princely state of Junagadh
. The territory was attached to the princely state of Limbdi
under the Attachment Scheme of 1943. It was amongst of the 29 units that were attached in the first stage of the scheme which followed the lead of Ghodasar and Bhadwa in declining to recognize the power and authority of the attaching of princely states.
After the withdrawal of the British administration from political supremacy and the partition of India
in the year 1947, the former princely state of Gedi was acceded to the newly formed and independent Dominion of India, which was also known as Union of India