History of Princely State of Samthar
The Bargujar Rajputs were the ruling family of the state. Maharaja Indrajit depended on the support of various petty chiefs, including Naune Shah Gujar, to overcome other contenders for the royal throne or gadi. After Indrajit ascended the throne, he rewarded the sone of Naune Shah, named Madan Singh with the fort of Samthar and a jagir of 5 villages. Later it was bestowed upon Devi Singh, the son of Madan Singh. During the disorder caused by the invasions Maratha Empire, Ranjit Singh, son of Devi Singh, became independent and was granted the title of Raja from the Maratha rulers. Later the native ruler was afforded protection by the British government and his lands appointed as a state in a treaty that concluded in the year 1817. The last ruler of the princely state of Samthar was the 12th of his line.
The Princely State of Samthar was honoured as one of the salaute states of India with a gun salute of 11 guns. The native ruler of the state held the title of Raja and was invested with the powers of a ruling chief. He took charge of the administration of the princely state and was supported by the Diwan. Samthar was one of only three states in Bundelkhand to have treaties with the British government of India. The other 2 states were Datia and Orchha. Other states were under the control of their chiefs under ikrarnamahs. As the Raja supported the British forces during the great revolt of 1857, in the year 1862 the British Government of India eradicated the obligation of Samthar state to pay annual relief or nazarana to its overlord on each succession. The native currencies of Datia rupee and Jhansi Nanashahi rupee were replaced in the princely state of Samthar by the British currency.
At present, Samthar is a municipal board and a city in the district of Jhansi in the state of Uttar Pradesh.