History of Princely State of Kunihar
The Garg or Gargah Raghuvanshi Rajputs were the ruling family of the princely state of Kunihar, who claimed descent from the son of Lord Rama, Luva. In 1154, Kunihar was conquered by Abhoj Deo, who was a member of the ruling family of Aknur. Later the regions of Keonthal and Baghal captured most of the portions of the state. The state of Kunihar was ranked at 13 amongst the Shimla Hill States, until the elimination of the separate agency in the year 1936 and its inclusion in the Punjab States Agency.
The Princely State of Kunihar included around 17 villages and was one of the 18 Shimla Hill States. The former princely state was situated about 15 miles west of Shimla. The region was bounded by Baghal in the west and the north; by Patiala in the east and the south. The state also shared a short border with Mahlog in the southwest. Kunihar state was incorporated as a part of the Punjab States Agency. The native ruler of the state initially held the title of Rao, but later assumed the title of Thakor. He exercised full ruling powers, subject to the customary limitation that capital sentences were to be confirmed by the British administration. The princely state of Kunihar was one of the original constituent members of the Chamber of Princes, a number of smaller states indirectly represented by 12 princes who were elected periodically by them.
According to the Attachment Scheme of 1943, on 17th April 1944, the princely state of Kunihar was attached to Nalagarh, under the plan proposed by the British Resident for the Punjab States. After the country gained independence in the year 1947, the state was acceded to the Union of India.