History of Chingleput District
As per the excavations that were done by Robert Bruce Foote the region was inhabited in the Stone Age. It also revealed that this district might have been a part of the Andhra kingdom. Initially the Pallavas ruled with their capital at Kanchi in about 500 A. D. When Pallava dynasty declined the region was conquered by the Western Gangas in about 760 A. D. Later it was ruled by the Rashtrakutas, Cholas and the Kakatiyas of Warangal till the 13th century AD. After that it came under the Delhi Sultanate. The region was conquered by the Vijayanagar Empire in the fourteenth century. They ruled till 1565 and from 1565 till 1640 as the kingdom of Chandragiri. Chingleput was conquered by the Mughals in 1687 and was later conquered by the Nawab of the Carnatic. In 1763 it came under the British rule.
Administration of Chingleput District
Chingleput district was divided into the following six taluks: Chingleput, Conjeevaram, Madurantakam, Ponneri, Saidapet and Tiruvallur. Chingleput district was sub-divided into three sub-divisions: Chingleput sub-division, Saidapet sub-division and Tiruvallur sub-division. In the year 1901, the district had two municipalities: Conjeevaram and Chingleput. Chingleput district has the first capital was the town of Karunguzhi, with an interruption between 1825 and 1835; administrative headquarters were transferred to Kanchipuram. In the year 1859, Chingleput district, the capital Saidapet, now a neighbourhood in the city of Chennai was made the administrative headquarters of the district.
Demography of Chingleput District
According to the population census, Chingleput district had a total population of 1,312,222. 96 percent of the population were Hindus while the rest where Christians and Muslims. About three-fourths of the people spoke Tamil as their mother tongue the remainder spoke Telugu. Due to its proximity to Madras city, there were also large numbers of Europeans in the district.
Chingleput district is well connected by road and rail. The Chennai Airport lies just 38 km north of the town and can be reached in about one hour by road. Melmaruvathur is about 35 km from Chingleput district.
|More Articles in Districts of Tamil Nadu (152)|