The fort of Sindhudurg is located on the huge sea rocks of the Malvan. The fort was built with the help of huge rocks on the Kurte Island. The district of Sindhudurg derives its name from the Sindhudurg fort. Tourists visit the fort throughout the year in order to get a glimpse of Maratha glory and splendour. Crores of rupees had been spent at the time to constrict this magnificent fort. In 1664, Chatrapati Shivaji erected the Sindhudurg on 44 acres of land. It took 500 stone splitters and stone breakers, 200 blacksmiths, 3000 labourers and hundreds of skilled artists who toiled very hard to complete this fort in three years. This is evident from stone inscriptions. A 3m long outer wall had been built in the fort, with an average height of 10 metres and width of between 2 to 4 metres, Liquid lead was used in the foundation of this wall. Even today the wall stands impenetrable. A trick was used in the construction of the entrance. The technique was so deceptive for the enemy that they could not even realize from where the entrance door began. An outer zizag wall was also built in such a way that if the enemy came to attack, it would be visible form any side so that troops inside the fort could fire their guns and cannons effectively and humble the enemy. Inside the Sindhudurg Fort, there is 'a Shri Shivarajeshwar temple' of King Shivaji. There is also the temple of Lord Hanumanand Jarimari mandir and a Goddess 'Bhavani Temple'. Impressions of Shivaji's fingers prints can found preserved here on one of the walls. Also inside the fort are temples of Bhavanimata, Shambhu Mahadev, Jirimiri and Mahapurush. All are in good condition. There is a rare coconut tree inside the fort which has two branches.
Vijaydurg or Victory Fort
Sprawling over an area of 48 acres, Vijaydurg, fort of victory, was once seized by the British following a bloody battle. They renamed it Fort Augustus. A dilapidated board at the entrance of the fort relates its history. One of the best views of the fort is from the jetty. The fort stretches out into the sea and a walk inside its precincts is worthwhile. Shivaji added triple rows of huge walls, umpteen towers and spacious inner buildings to it and strengthened it in the 17th century. Vijaydurg's beach is a stretch of about a kilometre with good views of the fort on the right and a small plateau with a hut to the left. Once naval bases, Vijaydurg and Sindhudurg bear testimony to Maharashtra's martial supremacy during Shivaji's reign.
Bharatgad and Bhagwatgad Fort
Both these forts are located close to each other in Muare town, separated only by an estuary. The most prominent feature of the Bharatgad fort is a 200 feet deep well which has a carved door at the bottom. It is believed that the cave beginning from this door leads to the Sindhudurg Fort. Inside the fort, a temple and masjid have been built in close proximity, which is a symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity. Bharatgad was built by Sawantwadikar Fond Sawat in 1680 and Bharwantgad by Pant Bawadekar.
Sarjekot is one amongst the chain of forts built by Shivaji in and around Malavan. The fort is situated along the mouth of Talashil Estuary. The imposing structure is encircled by a ditch on three of its sides, leaving one facing the Arabian Sea. The sunset view from this fort is a fascinating view, and a must see for all visitors.
Situated at an altitude of 2600 ft. above sea level, Rangnagad is a trekker's delight. This fort is among the fifteen forts built during Shilahar Bhoj's regime. Shivaji captured Rangnagad in 1659 and made the fort his favourite resting place. Freshwater Lake and the Rangnaidevi temple inside the fort are scenic splendours.
This dilapidated fort by the seashore impresses the visitor by its range of rocks situated at its bottom. The fort also commands a fine view of the Bhogwe beach.
This wonderful steep rock fort was established under the regime of King Bhoj in the 12th century. Standing at an altitude of 3000 feet, the fort is advantageously located on the topmost peak of Gaganbavada. It slopes down to the bottom nearly from all the sides leaving one narrow way for the visitors to enter inside the fort.
The palace was built by Khem Sawant Bhosale ruler of princely state Sunderwadi during 1755-1803. Entry gate (Lester gate) was built in 1895.
Thus discussed are the various places of leisure tourism located in the district of Sindhudurg.
|More Articles in Sindhudurg District (6)|