In Modern Architecture the drawing room is taken below the plinth level whereas the kitchen and the dining hall are above it. In this way on the same floor there are multi leveled constructions. According to Vastu Shastra this is not the right way for constructing structures. The flooring or base of each floor should be at the same level.
However in case the multileveled construction is unavoidable then the following measures should be taken:-
1) When multilevel construction is done on any floor the level of the floor on the eastern side should be low. The level of the floor on the West side should be more than that on the east side. However, under no circumstances should the level of the ground floor on any side be lower than that of the plinth. If the base is lower than the plinth it is known as ditch structure. Such structures never lead to prosperity.
2) If there is a road on the north or the south sides of the building the construction should be done in the South-North direction. If in such a structure multilevel construction is to be done on the same floor the level on the north side should be at least on the plinth level and the level on the south side should be a little higher than that of the North.
Plinth should always be at a height of 2.5 to 3.5 feet. Another measure to remember is that the plinth level should never be lower than the ground level.
3) In a flat system the architects design half the flats at a height of about 8 feet from the ground and half at a plinth level to accommodate parking system. In such cases if the parking is in the East or the North naturally the height of the upper most flat in the East or the North direction is higher. The height of the flat in the top floor on the West or the South side is about 8 feet less than the standard height. This is also a multilevel building. However if multilevel construction is unavoidable the slab of the uppermost floors of the entire building should be at the same level. If a there is an additional or extra floor on the West or the South side there is no harm. But the uppermost slab on the East or the North side should never be higher than that on the West or the South sides.
4) If multilevel construction is to be done then there should be two axes perpendicular to each other in the East-West and the North-South directions.
In this way the floor will be divided in North-East, South-East, North-West and South-West blocks. The level of the North-East block should be at the plinth level. The level of the North-West block should be higher than the North-East block. The level of the South-East block should be higher than the level of the North-West block. The level of the South-West block should be higher than the level of the South-East block. The level should increase at a fixed difference.
Vastu Shastra does not insist upon the four levels of construction. It can even be done at two levels the East - West and North - South directions.
5) While building a multi level structure the higher level should not be taken in the North-East, the North the East, the North - West or the South- East direction. This should not be done even as a mistake. In the same manner, while building a multilevel structure lower level construction should not be done in the South-East, the South, the South - West or the West direction as compared to other directions. According to Vastu Shastra such a move would prove inauspicious.
6) If in a structure at the same floor or level only the level in the North - East direction is higher than the other directions it leads to the downfall of the owner of the structure or the head of the family. Heavy losses are incurred in a business and it can even close down. Problems will also arise regarding offsprings.
7) If in a structure only the level of the floor in the South - East direction is more or less than that in the other directions it leads to judicial cases, clashes and other problems. There is also a chance of bankruptcy.
8) If in a structure only the level of the floor in the South-West block is low or less than the others there will be many hurdles in the life of the head of the family. Frequent accidents take place. Mental tension in women increases and economic progress of every kind will be adversely affected.
9) On the same floor of a structure if level of the North - West block is higher or lower than the level of the other blocks then it will lead to unnecessary enmity, importance of women increases and there are chances of theft.