(Last Updated on : 05-06-2013)
According to Ayurveda
every separate individual has separate type of skin that needs specific skin care routine and unique diet chart. Though there are certain tips that help to maintain the luster of the skin regardless of the skin type.
The collagen layer under the skin becomes thinner without the proper nourishment and a kind of degeneration takes place. Over time skin can even shrink due to under nourishment. To keep the skin healthy and glowing a proper diet routine should be maintained. Fresh, whole organic foods should be taken instead of packaged, canned, frozen or processed foods and leftovers. These foods have poor nutritional value and are not easily digested. This causes impurities that have localized effects in the skin. The resulting accumulation of toxins blocks circulation and causes irritation in the skin depriving the skin from further nutrition and natural cleansing process.
* Skin nourishing foods should be taken.
* Leafy green vegetables have much higher vitamins and mineral contents (especially iron and calcium) and are high in antioxidant properties. They help to keep the skin well nourished and protect the skin from premature aging.
* Sweet juicy fruits such as melons, grapes, plums, pears and stewed apples are excellent diet in breakfast for the all skin types.
* A variety of grains should be taken over different meals and mixed grain servings should be tried at breakfast and lunch. Millet, barley, amaranath, quinoa, cous-cous etc should be included in the main menu with rice and wheat.
* Light, easily digested proteins like legume soups(especially yellow split mung dals), whole milk, paneer, lassi etc should be tried in the diet to keep the skin healthy and fresh.
* Oils like ghee (clarified butter) and organic, extra virgin olive oil should be included in the diet as they add luster to the skin.
* Spices like turmeric
and black pepper
improves digestion, nourishment and cleansing of the skin from the impurities.
* Microwaving and boiling the vegetables causes loss of 85% of the antioxidant content. So steaming and saut‚ing are the best way to eat vegetables.