(Last Updated on : 10/11/2014)
Kanchipuram district is popular for its renowned crafted world famous silk sarees, a traditional home industry. The district is also known for its civilization and culture. The district of Kanchipuram is easily accessible from the state capital Chennai. Temples in Kanchipuram district are torchbearers of the glorious heritage of the district as well as the state and are repositories of the magnificent art forms that evolved over several centuries. The district is situated on the Northeast coast of Tamil Nadu and is adjacent to the Bay of Bengal and Chennai city. The district is spread over 4393.37 hectares and has a coastline of 57 kilometres. The district headquarters is Kanchipuram which is also known as the temple town. Kanchipuram district is divided into 3 revenues comprising 8 taluks with 1137 revenue villages. For developmental reasons, it is divided into 13 development blocks with 648 village panchayats. As per the 2001 Census, the district of Kanchipuram in the state of Tamil Nadu in India had population of 30.38 lakhs, which is about 6.76 percent of the total population of the state.
History of Kanchipuram District
Kanchipuram district had been administered by the Pallavas, the Cholas, the rulers of the Vijayanagar Empire
, the Muhammadan Kings and the British before Indian Independence. Tondaimandalam was an ancient division of Tamil country comprising roughly the present Kanchipuram district, Chennai district
, Tiruvallur district
, Vellore district
and Tiruvannamalai district
. The capital of Thondaimandalam was Kanchipuram. The major breakthrough in the district administration was in 1788 when, for the first time, collector was appointed to the district. The district was split up into two divisions, Northern and Southern and placed under the charge of two collectors. Karunguzhi became the headquarters of the district and it remained so up to 1859 when it was shifted to 'Home Garden' Saidapettai, except for a short spell (1825-1835) during which Kanchipuram served as the district headquarters. From 1859 to 1968 the collector's office was located in Saidapettai and with effect from 1st July 1968, Kanchipuram became the district headquarters.
Geography of Kanchipuram District
Situated on the northeastern coast of Tamil Nadu
state and is adjacent by Bay of Bengal
and Chennai city, the district of Kanchipuram is bounded in the west by Vellore district and Thiruvannamalai district, in the north by Thiruvallur district and Chennai district, in the south by Viluppuram district
and in the east by the Bay of Bangal. The district is situated between 11 degrees and 12 degrees to the North Latitudes and 77 degrees 28 minutes and 78 degrees 50 minutes to the East Longitudes.Kanchipuram district has a total geographical area of 4393.37 hectares and is possesses a coastline of 57 kilometers. The maximum temperature experienced during the summer season in this district is 36.6 degrees Celsius and the minimum temperature is 21.1 degrees Celsius. The maximum temperature during winter is 28.7 Celsius and minimum temperature is 19.8 degrees Celsius.
Economy of Kanchipuram District
The district of Kanchipuram is one of the largest industrial areas in the Tamil Nadu state in India. It is proud to be the home of vital production bases of international industrial groups including Ford, Saint Gobain, Hyundai as well as a number of export houses in and around the Madras Export Processing Zone. The product range from factories in this district include cars, auto parts, phones, float glass, air conditioners, Sugar industry, fashion garments, etc.
Tourism in Kanchipuram District
Kanchipuram district is a spectacular site of temples and the district headquarters is also known as the temple city. The temples of Kanchipuram district
reflect the glorious traditions of South India. Mammalappuram was a flourishing port-town during the time of Pallavas. This is one of the most famous tourist attractions in the district of Kanchipuram. The monuments of Mamallapuram are excellent specimen of Dravidian temple architecture and Pallava art. Sriperumpudur is another place of tourist interest in the district. It is 29 kilometres from Chennai
on the way to Kanchipuram. It is the birth place of Saint Ramanuja
, the father of Visishtadvaida philosophy of Vaishnavism
and hence, an important pilgrim centre for the Vaishnavites.
Kamakodi Peetham and Kammakshi Amman temple are closely associated with the life of Shankaracharya
. The Kamakoti Peetham is enshrined in the Sri Chakra just in front of Sri Devi and all pujas and sacrifices are offered to the Sri Chakra. Sri Ekambareswara temple is the most famous Shiva temple at Kanchipuram district. Kailasanatha temple
was constructed by the Pallava Dynasty
during the first quarter of the 8th Century. The temple is built of red sandstone and has innumerable carvings of Pallava art, of which the Urdhva Thandava dance of Shiva and the laughing face of Parvati
are worth seeing. Another famous temple of this district is the Sri Ulagalandar temple. The temple was constructed in the Chola period. Some of the other temples of this district are Sri Vardaraja Perumal temple, Vaikuntha Perumal temple, Sri Vijayaraghava Perumal temple, Sri Subramaniya Swami temple, Jain temples, etc.
Apart from the temples some of the other major attractions of this district in the state of Tamil Nadu are Muttukkadu (a large lake), Bird Sanctuary at Vedantangal, Sadras, Anna Memorial, etc.