(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Located near the Indo- Bangladesh border, Mekhliganj is a city in Coochbehar district of the eastern state of India, West Bengal. It is positioned in the east of Haldibari at a distance of 15 kilometers and the other towns surrounding Mekhliganj are Burimari at a distance of 5 kilometers, Dhabalsati at a distance of 6 kilometers and Dahagram at a distance of 6 kilometers. The town remains connected to the other towns because of the Coochbehar Airport and the Haldibari Railway Station of the North Eastern Railways.
Detailed information about the town is given in the Indian Census report of 2001, which states that Mekliganj had a population of 10,833. Males account for 52% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 48%. In Mekliganj, 14% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also provides data about the literacy rate of the town, which is 61%. It is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 68% and the female literacy rate is 53%.
More on West Bengal