History of Coimbatore District
Initially, Coimbatore District formed part of the Kongu country, the history of which dates back to the Sangam age. It is found that in early days the area was inhabited by tribes, the most predominant among them being the Kosars. Though, tribal predominance did not last long as they were over-run by the Rashtrakutas. From Rashtrakutas the region fell into the hands of the Cholas. On the decline of Cholas the Kongu territory was occupied by the Chalukyas and then by the Pandyas and the cysalas. Due to interior conflict in the Pandyan kingdom the Muslim rulers from Delhi happened to interfere. For a few years the area remained under independent control of Madurai Nayaks. However, consequent on the fall of Tipu Sultan of Mysore in 1799, the Kongu region came to be ceded to the East India Company by the Maharaja of Mysore who was restored to power by the East India Company after defeating Tipu Sultan. From then till 1947, the region remained under British control who initiated systematic revenue administration in the area. Among its other great rulers were Rashtrakutas, Chalukyas, Pandyas, Hoysalas and the Vijayanagara kings. When Kongunadu came down to the British along with the rest of the state, its name was changed to Coimbatore. Since then it is known by this name only although in Tamil it is called as Kovai. Further, Coimbatore was in two parts for purposes of revenue administration. In 1804, the areas were merged into one and brought under one District Collector. In the year 1868, Nilgiris District was divided from Coimbatore District.
Geography of Coimbatore District
Coimbatore District is in the shadow region of the Western Ghats. In the rainy season the place enjoys a very pleasant climate all the year round, aided by the fresh breeze that flows through the 25 kms long Palakkad gap. The rich black soil of the region has contributed to Coimbatore's flourishing agriculture industry and it is in fact the successful growth of cotton that served as a foundation for the establishment of its famous textile industry.
Administration of Coimbatore District
For the management of Coimbatore District and proper administration it is divided into three revenue divisions, namely Coimbatore, Pollachi and Tirupur and nine Taluks comprising of 482 Revenue villages. Coimbatore District is divided into six Taluks consisting of 295 Revenue villages. The total population of Coimbatore district is 42,71,856 with 21,76,031 females and 20,95,825 males as per 2001 Census. Out of the three Revenue Divisions, the economy of Coimbatore Division is dependent on industries; Pollachi is dependent on agriculture and Tirupur on agriculture and hosiery manufacturing industries as well.
Economy of Coimbatore District
Coimbatore District enjoys a strong economy and it is also known as one of the greatest industrial districts in South India. There are lots of textiles mills present in Coimbatore city. There are more than 25,000 small, medium, large-scale industries and textile mill present in the city. Coimbatore is also famous for the manufacturing of motor pump sets and varied engineering goods. Hydro electricity has been generated from the Pykara Falls in 1930. This led to a cotton boom in Coimbatore.
Tourism in Coimbatore District
Coimbatore District is very much known for its tourist attractions. There are lots of places to visit in and around Coimbatore. Coimbatore district is one of the biggest districts in Tamil Nadu with lot of tourist attractions, shopping centres as well as religious places. Some of the major attractions of Coimbatore District are Aliyar Dam, Monkey Falls, Siruvani Dam, Cholayar Dam, Botanical Garden, Horticulture Farms and Vaitheki Falls. All these places are worth visiting.
Coimbatore serves as an entry and exit point to neighbouring Kerala and the ever-popular hill station of Udhagamandalam(Ooty). It is the landing point for those who want to take the Mountain train that runs from Mettupalayam, just 35 kms from Coimbatore.