Demise of Queen Victoria
The demise of the venerated Queen Victoria of England, in January 1901 caused Lord Curzon, the then Viceroy of India, to pay a tribute to the respected memories of the Queen Head of British Kingdom, Queen Victoria.
Foundation of Victoria Memorial Hall
The Prince of Wales, later King George V, laid the foundation stone on 4th January 1906 and it was formally opened to the public in 1921. In 1912, before the construction of the Victoria Memorial, King George V announced the transfer of the capital of India from Calcutta now Kolkata to New Delhi.
Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata is an artistic excellence personified. Standing as the pride of the Mega city, Kolkata, this building of magnificence and heritage, is taken care of by the Department of Culture, Government of India. Victoria Memorial hall is a royal, wide, monumental and expansive structure, invested with grandeur. It is beautified with a mind-blowing garden. This was to be a historical museum where people could see before them pictures and statues of men who played a prominent part in the history of this country and develop a pride in their past.
Funding of Victoria Memorial Hall
The princes and people of India, living during Lord Curzon's office, answered warmly to his call for finances, required for setting up such a big project. The architectural-exercise of monument, incurred, an enormous, 1 crore and 5 lakhs rupees, the whole of which got supplied from noble subscriptions, forwarded by the benevolent patrons.
Construction of Victoria Memorial Hall
Victoria Memorial Hall was built out of untarnished white marble. It came in the limelight for the splendid synthesis of European and Mughal architecture. This style uses a mixture of British and Mughal elements as well as Venetian, Egyptian, Deccani and Islamic architectural influences. Sir William Emerson, President of the British Institute of Architects, was the master-architect who gave shape to this architectural splendor. The entire task of carving out this historical structure, from the very scratch, was the responsibility of the Messrs. Martin & Co. of Calcutta. Vincent Esch was recruited as the supervisor of this constructional-project.
Garden of Victoria Memorial Hall
The gardens of Victoria Memorial Hall cover an area of 64 acres of land. These gardens were designed by Redesdale and David Prain.
|More Articles in Victoria Memorial Hall (2)|