History of Parikud Island
Before the Indian Independence, during the colonial rule, the island of Parikud was under the king of Bankad, current day Banpur. This was in the year 1774, when Bankad was frequently attacked by the British East India Company. The first ruler to come to the region was Sri Harisevak Mansingh, who came to Parikud and established his capital known as Nrusinghgarh at Gurubai. Finally in the year 1798, Raja Mansingh shifted his capital to Krishnaprasad and erected the royal palace.
When the British invaded Odisha from the south in 1803, the traitor Fateh Muhammed, a ferry owner from Kandakhai met them on the shores of Chilika. He showed them the eastern route, by which the British managed to infiltrate Puri undetected. In return, Fateh Muhammed was given freehold of the areas of Malud and Parikud, most of which is today called the Garh Krishnaprasad block.
Demographic of Parikud Island
The Parikud Island is a part of the Krishnaprasad block and as per the reports of Census India 2011, the Krishnaprasad block had a population of 89,371. Males constitute 51 percent of the population and females 49 percent. Parikud has an average literacy rate of 72.24 percent, which is close to the national average of 74.04 percent; with 78 percent of the males and 65 percent of females literate.
Climate of Parikud Island
Due to the coastal location, the Parikud Island experiences a pleasant climate, which is neither too hot nor cold. The island is also suitable for agriculture.
The Parikud Island is also a popular tourist island in the state of Odisha. Some of the popular festivals like Durga Puja, Diwali, Kartik Purnima, Dol Purnima, etc, are celebrated on the island.
|More Articles in Tourism in Odisha (27)|