History of Gobindgarh Fort
Gobindgarh Fort was originally built by Dhillon Jat ruler Maharaja Gujjar Singh Bhangi of Bhangi Misl, the local chieftain in the 18th century. It was later conquered and then renovated by Sandhawalia Jat ruler Maharaja Ranjit Singh during the early 19th century. The fort was renovated with help of a French architect. Maharaja Ranjit Singh renamed the fort after the 10th Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh.
Structure of Gobindgarh Fort
This square shaped fort is entirely made out of bricks and lime. The fort had 25 canons mounted on its ramparts and it remained with the Bhangi rulers till 1805. Each of its corners has a parapet and two doors. The main entrance, Nalwa Gate, is named after Hari Singh Nalwa; Keller Gate is the back entrance. There is a tunnel, which runs towards Lahore. The three bastions connected through a rampart depict positive values in the structure of a common thread. The fort earlier had eight watch towers and a coin minting house. Artilleries were also produced at the fort. It also had a watch tower of 50 meters tall. It was later demolished by the Indian Army after independence.
Interventions in Gobindgarh Fort in Different Periods
There have been several interventions in Gobindgarh Fort in different periods. Below are the enlisted interventions that have been made in Gobindgarh Fort:
Interventions of Sikh Period: The interventions made during Sikh period are unique fortification system, circular plinth of the Bungalow, Toshakhana, bastions, military engineering etc. Toshakhana was built by Maharaja Ranjit singh. The building was made out of lime plaster. All these renovations have been done to protect the fort from any kinds of outside attacks.
Interventions of British Period: During British period, Gobindgarh Fort was used as barracks for housing soldiers. So, the interventions were made to renovate the fort as barracks. There were changes in bastions for roofing, Bungalow, Darbar Hall etc. In addition, coffee shop was built inside the fort campus along with a Chloronome house. The Chloronome house is located west of Durbar Hall and opposite of the coffee shop. This is a colonial building, built in 1853, which was used for the treatment and purification of water by chlorination.
|More Articles in Forts in Punjab (5)|