History of Pandavgad Fort
The Pandavgad Fort is said to have been built from 1191 to 1192 AD by the Silahar King Bhoj II. In the year 1673, the fort was captured by the Maratha Empire and became a part of the forts conquered by Chhatrapati Shivaji. Later in 1701, the fort was captured by the Mughal Dynasty under the orders of Emperor Aurangzeb. But the Pandavgad Fort was again seized by Chhatrapati Sahu Maharaj and remained under the Maratha rule until 1818, when it came under the British Empire. Currently in ruins, the Pandavgad Fort is preserved and maintained by the Government of India.
Overview of Pandavgad Fort
Dating back as far as the 11th century, the Pandavgad Fort was once a major stronghold of the Maratha and Peshwa rulers. At present after centuries of destruction, the structures in the fort are in ruins, apart from a temple, which is supported by four carved pillars and is famous for its beautiful architecture. All the ancient buildings on the fort have been reduced to a mere heap of bricks. In the centre, remains of the main building are hidden by a thick growth of bushy shrubs. From every corner of the fort, the tourists can get a panoramic view of the neighbouring areas. From the east side, one can see the towns of Wai, and Mandhardevi and to the west the fortress of Kenjalgad can be viewed, which is at a distance of about 5 miles from Pandavgad.
Then there are the Pandavgad caves, which are located on a small south east projection of the fort along with a rock cut water cistern. These caves are in good condition and are often visited by tourists.
Visiting Information on Pandavgad Fort
The nearest railway station is at Satara at a distance of 52 km from the fort and the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai is the closest at a distance of about 247 km from the Pandavgad Fort.
(Last Updated on : 27-09-2019)
|More Articles in Forts in Maharashtra (113)|