Christ Church is located on The Ridge in Shimla, the capital and largest city of Himachal Pradesh. This church is recognized as the second oldest church in North India, after St John's Church in Meerut. It is also recognized as one of the prominent landmarks of Shimla. In the year 1844, Colonel J. T. Boileau had designed this church. This church was formally dedicated to a religious purpose in the year 1857. It acted as a place of worship for the Anglican British community of Shimla. This church is a fine representation of the typical Elizabethan style of architecture. In the year 1860, a clock was donated to this church by Colonel Dumbleton. Presently, this clock is dysfunctional. The church was provided with a porch in the year 1873. The pipe-organ of the church which was installed in September 1899 is known to be the largest in India. The Christ Church is a storehouse of a great collection of books and ancient scriptures. Hindi and English are the two languages in which the Almighty is worshipped in the church. This church is known to be well maintained and is in a good condition.
St. John in the Wilderness
St. John in the Wilderness is situated near Dharamshala on the way to McLeod Ganj at Forsyth Gunj. It is an Anglican church, which was established in the year 1852. St. John in the Wilderness is dedicated to John, the Baptist. This church is a fine representation of the neo-Gothic style of architecture. This church is adorned with Belgian stained-glass windows. These windows were donated by Lady Elgin (Mary Louisa Lambton), who is recognized as the wife of Lord Elgin. The churchyard has a memorial of Lord Elgin, who once was the Governor General of the Province of Canada and also became the Governor-General and Viceroy of India in the year 1861.