Kidney beans or Rajma as we call it in India is quite a popular stuff in Northern region of India. Kidney beans are quite a nutritious thing. It is a good source of dietary fibres, vitamin B1 and iron among many other nutritional benefits. Kashmiri kidney beans are a bit smaller in size than the regular version.
1. Soak Rajma and soda in water overnight, approximately for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Drain and cook in fresh water till soft (about 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, after the first whistle).
3. Drain and keep the beans and water separately till ready to use.
4. Heat ghee in a large pot and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
5. When cumin splutters, add the chopped onion and fry till soft and golden brown.
6. Next add ginger powder, yogurt and ginger paste, stirring vigorously all the time.
7. Saute till oil separates. Add salt, chilli powder, green chilli and cooked Rajma. Saute for a minute or so.
8. Make up the drained water of the cooked Rajma to about 1 cup and add to the Rajma.
9. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes.
10. Add the garam masala and coriander powder, simmer another minute or so and serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.
|More Articles in Kashmiri Cuisine (9)|