(Last Updated on : 03-10-2015)
Gulab Jamun ki Sabzi is a traditional and regional Rajasthani curry
which is very rich and delicious. This vegetarian speciality is very famous in Jodhpur, Rajasthan
. Gulab Jamun ki Sabzi is an amazingly innovative savoury vegetable recipe by keeping raw Gulab Jamun
as the main ingredient. It is Gulab Jamun balls which, rather than dipping in sweet syrup, is dipped in rich savoury gravy. This is a heavy to eat recipe as the Gulab Jamun Balls is fried in ghee and then made in rich gravy, again using ghee and cashew nut paste.
one can find vendors selling some raw Jamuns which are not soaked in the syrup and just fried balls. So the Rajput
women over there is said to have innovated this curry out of the unsweetened Jamun.
Ingredients for Gulab Jamun Kofta:
Gulab Jamun mix - 100 gms
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ginger-Green Chilli Paste - 1 tsp
Water as required
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Ingredients for Gravy:
Tomato - 2
Cashew Nuts - 5 to 6, soaked in water till soft
Raisins - 5 to 6, soaked in water till soft
Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 to 3
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Garlic flakes - 4 to 5
Coconut small piece
Ingredients for Tadka:
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Onion - 2 tbsp chopped
Cashew Nuts - 5 to 6
Cloves - 2 to 3
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Sugar to taste
Fresh Cream - 3 to 4 tbsp
1. Take a deep bowl and put the Gulab Jamun Mix.
2. Add in to it salt, cumin seeds and ginger-green chilli paste. Mix all the ingredients with water as required.
3. Make small balls from the dough.
4. Deep fry the koftas till brown and keep them aside.
5. Grind all the ingredients for the gravy and make a fine paste
6. Heat the ghee in the pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida and let them crackle
7. Add onions, cashew nuts and clove. Fry till onions are brown
8. Now add the paste and cook it till oil separates.
9. Then add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, salt , pinch of sugar and coriander powder
10. Add the fresh cream and the Gulab Jamuns 10 minutes before serving.
11. Serve hot with Chapati
Add the koftas into the gravy only while serving not much before.