Preparation of Besan Bhindi Masala
Being a Rajasthani recipe, along with the spices besan or gram flour is also used. Gram flour is roasted and later spices are added in the dish. There is also no other vegetables like onions, tomatoes etc added. The end result is a crisp, spiced and masala coated okra which goes very well with chapatis or Phulkas. This Rajasthani bhindi can also be served as a side dish along with dal-rice.
Ingredients for Garnish:
1. In a small bowl, mix together the ginger juliennes, lemon juice, sugar and water.
2. Keep this pickled ginger aside for 3 hrs.
3. Rinse and pat dry the okra. Slice off the crown and the tip of the okra.
4. Then make 2 or 3 slits on each okra, without breaking them.
5. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the okras. Saute them till they are crisp and browned.
6. Drain the fried okras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
7. In the same pan, add ghee.
8. Add the gram flour and fry the gram flour till it changes colour and becomes aromatic. Keep on stirring while frying the gram flour so that it does not get burnt.
9. Add the okras to the gram flour and stir.
10. Then add all the spice powders (coriander, dry mango powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder).
11. Stir well and sprinkle salt and little water.
12. Stir and saute, until the roasted gram flour and spice mixture coats the okras well.
13. Lastly, add garam masala and give a stir.
14. While serving, garnish besan bhindi with the julienned ginger from the sugar syrup along with coriander leaves.
15. Serve Besan Bhindi Masala hot with roti or chapati or as a side dish with dal, rice or curry.