Preparation of Aloo Bonda
Aloo Bonda are made of potatoes, dipped in spicy gram flour batter then deep fried. Aloo Bonda is crispy on outside and soft inside. One can serve Aloo Bonda with Coconut Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Tamarind Chutney or Ketchup. One can also put Aloo Bonda in between a bun or a pav and it becomes a tasty ‘Vada Pav’. Lot of variation could be made to the potato filling.
Method for Potato Filling:
1. Place the boiled potatoes in the bowl and mash them.
2. Add chopped onions, green chillies, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, ginger, salt, cashews, lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix everything together.
3. Once the potato filling is ready, make lime size balls and keep them aside in the plate.
Method for Frying the Bondas:
1. In a bowl add gram flour, rice flour, baking soda, salt, asafoetida, red chilli powder and mix.
2. Add little water at a time in the gram flour and with the hand beater mix it for a minute or until it become a smooth paste.
3. Heat 3 cups of oil in a wok, dip each ball in the batter and coat enough batter, then drop them gently in the hot oil.
4. With the slotted spoon, flicker some oil over the balls and turn them around to other side and fry.
5. Keep turning the balls around for 4 to 5 minutes or until they become golden brown.
6. Then with the slotted spoon take them out from the oil and place them in a plate over the paper towel so that excess oil is absorbed.
7. Serve Aloo Bonda hot with Coriander Chutney and Imli Chutney or Ketchup.
Batter for Bonda should be little thick to coat the potato balls. Potato balls should be coated well with the besan batter before adding in the hot oil. If the balls are not coated well or if the batter is not thick, potato will come out in the oil while frying.
|More Articles in Indian Snacks (38)|