Location of Kundeshwar
This hilly village of pilgrimage importance in Central India is situated in Tikamgarh District, which is about 5 kilometres south of Tikamgarh District of Madhya Pradesh.
History of Kundeshwar
According to medieval history of Kundeshwar, Banpur was the capital of Banasur, the king of demons and a great devotee of Lord Siva or Mahadeva, her daughter Usha Devi was also a dedicated and regular devotee of this Shiva Linga of Mahadeva in midnight. Usha Devi was married to Anirudha, the grandson of Lord Krishna and son of Pradumna. It is believed, that Shiva Linga has emerged from the Kunda of Bagwar Kshatriya, Rajput clan landlady. Bagwar Suryawanshi, a Bira Kshatriya was Baghwa - Lion rider in Madhya Desh called Baghroha from Banpur to the dense forest of Jamdhar river long back before Samvat 1144 A.D. It has engraved a footnote found below the idol of Nandi Mahadeva. His descendants are Bagwar - Pandya of Kundeshwar - The Mahakaal of Bundelkhand. Gaharwar Raja Govindachandra moved his capital from Kannauj to Varanasi (1114-1154). Gaharwars were emigrated to various parts of the country and their descendants are known as Danesra, Abhaipura, Kapolia, Kora, Jarkhera, Padma, Aihara, Parakh, Chandela, Bira, Beruari, Kherodia and Chandra Kamdhujs respectively. Amongst 13 sons of Punja Kamdhuj, Muktaman, who conquered possession in the north from Bhan Tuar, his descendants called Bira Kamdhuj came to occupy territory of Madhya Desh - Bundelkhand. Raja Bir Singh Deo 1605/ 1627, a ruler of strong principles; he was not only a great warrior but an enthusiastic builder, leaving many monuments, forts and temples. He patronised the building of the temple and was awarded with the title of Panda or Pandya of Kundeshwar Mahadev to Bagwar clan with copper plate Rajagya owing to their Rajput ancestry. Raja Mahendra Vikramajit 1776 to 1817 and Maharaja Mahendra Sawai Pratap Singh Ju Deo 1874 to 1930 and their successors continued to patronise until merger of the State into the Indian Republic after the Independence of India in the year 1947.
Culture in Kundeshwar
There are three big fairs held at Kundeshwar yearly. A fair attended by 50,000 persons is held in Poush to Magha in January on the occasion of Sankranti. Further fairs are held on the occasion of Basanta Panchimi and on the Kartik Ekadasshi in the month of October to November.
Tourism in Kundeshwar
As it is a hill station in Madhya Pradesh, to the south, there lies a picnic spot known as 'Barighar' and the 'Usha Water Fall'. The village possesses an archaeological museum and Vinobha Sansthan. Maharaja Birsingh Deo established the Keshva Sahitya Sansthan at Kundeshwar. Kundeshwar is known for Kundadev Mahadev, an ancient temple on the bank of the Jamdhar River, and is the location of Kundadev Mahadev Temple, which attracts a large number of tourists.
(Last Updated on : 09-03-2015)
|More Articles in Hill Stations of Madhya Pradesh (3)|