Alamparai Fort is also known as 'Alampara Fort' and is presently in a ruined state, located about 50 kms away from Mallapuram, overlooking the sea. The fort remnants are based close to Kadappakkam and the fort was established during the latter portion of the 17th century during the age of the Mughals. Limestone and bricks were employed to construct the Alamparai Fort and there exists a mausoleum at the central part of the fort ruins. The total area occupied by the fort measures about 15 acres.
Built during the 17th century, Attur Fort is situated in Salem District in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The structure was erected by a regional 'Palayakarar' known as Lakshmana Nayakan and was captured by Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan and even by British forces during several times. Today, the Archaeological Department of the Government of Tamil Nadu supervises the Attur Fort. Certain portions of this fort are deserted while most other parts of the Attur Fort are occupied by slum dwellers illegally.
Also referred to as 'Dindigul Malai Kottai', Dindigul Fort was constructed during the 17th century by the Madurai Nayak ruler Muthu Krishnappa Nayak, and it is existent in Dindigul in Tamil Nadu. It was built in 1605 and was slipped into the control of the Wodeyars of Mysore kingdom during the 18th century. The power and glory of this fort was enhanced manifold under the regime of Hyder Ali and also Tipu Sultan. Its architecture depicts that utilized by the then Indian rulers. Presently, the fort is supervised by the Archaeological Survey of India or ASI and has been declared a protected monument.
Fort Geldaria or Fort Geldria is present in the region of Pulicat and used to be the epicentre of the most ancient Dutch settlements in the country. The fort was the capital of Dutch Coromandel. The Dutch East India Company had established Fort Geldria during the year 1613 and was made the regional centre of the Government in 1616. Geldria Fort was named after the province of Wemmer van Berchem named 'Geldria' who was then the General Director of the company. Currently, the Archaeological Survey of India maintains Fort Geldria.
King Krishnadevaraya of Vijayanagara kingdom had established the Krishnagiri Fort in Krishnagiri District and it is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of Indian or ASI. The fort is so named as the name of the king was Krishnadevaraya and 'giri' implies hill. Hyder Ali had occupied the fort in the 18th century and even captured 'baramahal' on the royal orders of the ruler of Mysore, Chikka Deva Raja Wodeyar. This fort and it neighbourhood was termed as baramahal.
Manora Fort is existent at a distance of nearly 65 kms away from Thanjavur and was constructed by Serfoji II, the Maratha king to celebrate the victory of the British forces against Napolean Bonaparte. It was built in the period between 1814 and 1815. It measures about 23 metres in height and possesses eight stories which is a hexagonal tower. The name of this fort has been derived from its name 'Manora' which means minaret. Five monuments of this fort were demolished by the Indian Ocean Tsunami in December 2004.
Belonging to the 17th century, the Ranjankudi Fort is based at a distance of nearly 22 kms away from the northern portion of Perambalur town and it was built by a feudal lord of the Nawab of the Carnatic. During the Battle of Valikondah, this fort played a crucial role. It is oblong in structure and is equipped with a moat, semi-circular bastions and three fortifications which have been erected with the aide of blocks of stone. Residential houses, a palace, an underground room as well as an underground pathway are also a part of the fort which is administered by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Fort St. George
Fort St. George is a beautiful fort which is also recognised as 'White Town' located in Madras, the current-day Chennai city. It is said to be the very first English fortress which was later occupied by British and was developed during 1644. Today, the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly and some other government buildings are based inside the fort. The Archaeological Survey of India has been entrusted the responsibility of maintaining the fort, which has been declared a 'ticketed monument' by ASI.
Tiruchirapalli Rock Fort
Made of ancient rock pieces, the Tiruchirapalli Rock Fort is situated in Tiruchirapalli and is present on the summit of a rock measuring about 273 feet in height. The fort has been a spectator to various gory battles fought between Marathas, Bijapur, Carnatic and forces of Madurai Nayakas. Its name 'Rockfort' was obtained from its military fortification which was utilized initially by Vijayanagara rulers and much later by the British Raj during the period of Carnatic wars. The Tiruchirapalli Rock Fort is looked after by the Chennai Circle of Archaeological Survey of India.
Vellore Fort is a gigantic fort built in the 16th century in Vellore city, by the rulers of Vijayanagara Empire. It was once the official headquarters of Vijayanagara's Aravidu Dynasty and is renowned for its wide moat, impressive masonry and large ramparts. A Hindu temple, Christian church and a Muslim mosque are the other structures existent in the Vellore Fort which was made with the aide of granite derived from the local quarries in Chittoor and Arcot Districts. Its total area measures 133 acres.
Other Forts of Vellore
Tamil Nadu boasts of several other magnificent forts and even ruins of forts which once served as significant nerve-centres of the then kingdoms of various dynasties. They include Anchettidurgam Fort, Aranthangi Fort, Fort Dansborg, Droog Fort, Erode Fort, Gingee Fort, Udayagiri Fort, Kenilworth Fort, Namakkal Fort, Rajagiri Fort, Sadras Fort, Sankagiri Fort, Fort St. David, Tangrakottai, Tiruchirapalli Fort, Thirumayam Fort and Vattakottai Fort.
|More ArticlesForts in Tamil Nadu (5)|
Forts in Tamil Nadu