Architecture of Hangseshwari Temple
Hangseshwari temple was constructed in the 19th century temple. It consists of 13 towers or minars. The temple is 21 m in height and is different in its architectural pattern from the rest of the shrines present in the region. The upper portion of each of the tower has been designed like a lotus flower. The five storey structure of the temple consists of Ira, Pingala, Bajraksha, Sushumna and Chitrini. It thus, follows the structure of a human body. The construction work of the temple was initiated by Raja Nrishinghadeb Roy Mahasay in 1788 which was later completed by his wife Rani Sankari in 1814. The structural design of the temple represents 'Tantrik Satchakrabhed.'
Besides the Hangseshwari temple, the Ananta Basudeba Temple is also located within the temple complex. The temple was built in 1649 by Raja Rameshwar Datta. He was a follower of Vaishnavism. The temple has been constructed as per the traditional 'ekaratna' style and is adorned with an octagonal tower. The triple arched entrance and the beautifully designed cornices are worth watching. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The fine terracotta works designed on the walls of the temple enhances the beauty of the temple. These reflect the various war scenes, image of gods and shades of everyday life. The architectural designs of the temple resemble the terracotta temples of Bishnupur.
Hangseshwari temple is well connected by all modes of transport. The nearest railway station from the town is the Tribeni Railway Station which is on the Howrah-Katwal mainline. Trains also ply on the Sealdah-Katwa rail line. Tourists can take auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws from the railway station to reach the temple. Tourists can also take NH 2 to reach the temple by road.