V. Ramarathnam as Vocalist
V. Ramarathnam, as a vocalist, had been performing since 1940s in several renowned musical institutions, both nationally and internationally. In Ramarathnam's music one finds a harmonious blending of raga, bhava, tala and charm of a very rich tradition.
V. Ramarathnam as Composer
Apart from being a vocalist, Ramarathnam was also an author and composer. There are about 25 kritis composed by him, in well known ragas in Sanskrit language, Telugu language and Kannada language. He used the Mudra 'Rama' and had published them with Chittaswaram.
V. Ramarathnam as Teacher
Ramarathnam had imparted musical trainings to many of his students. His illustrious disciples comprise Neelamma Kadambi, T.R. Srinivasan, C.M. Madhuranath (also a disciple of Flute Vidwan Sri T. R. Mahalingam), N. Nanjundaswamy, B.R. Shamachar, K.J. Venkatachar, Vainika Vidwan M.J. Srinivasa Iyengar (disciple of Veena Venkatagiriyappa), Padmaja Ramanujam and many more.
V. Ramarathnam as Author
There are about 13 books authored by Ramarathnam. Some of them are in collaboration with musicologists Sampathkumaracharaya, M.V. Rathna and R.N. Doreswamy. These books deal with the theory and practical aspects of Carnatic music. Ten of these books have been published by the University Press, "Prasaranga" University of Mysore with some having been reprinted several times.
Some of the important books published include:
* Sangeetha Darpana - Prof. V. Ramarathnam University of Mysore, Prasaranga Publication, 1969
* Karnataka Sangeetha Sudha - co-authors Dr. V.S. Sampathkumaracharya, University of Mysore, Prasaranga Publication, 1967
* Sangeetha Ratna T. Chowdiah's Compositions - Published by University of Mysore, 1975
* Sangeetha Shastra Parichaya Vols 1 and 2 - Co-Author R.N. Doraiswamy
* Karnataka Sangeetha Krithirachana Sangraha Volume 1 - Published by Prof. V. Ramarathnam, 1992.
* Pallaki Seva Prabhandham - Co-Authors M.V. Rathna, University of Mysore, Prasaranga, 1974.
* Noukacharithram - Co-Author R.N. Doraiswamy, 1969
* Karnataka Sangeethadha Lakshya Lakshana Sangraha - Published by University of Mysore, Prasaranga.
* Mysore Sadhashivarayaru - Published by Karnataka Sangeetha Nrithya Academy, Bangalore 1997.
* Karnataka Sangeetha Deepeke - co-authored by Dr. V.S. Sampathkumaracharya- Published by D.V.K. Murthy, Mysore, 2000.
* Keerthana Tharangini- published by D.V.K. Murthy, Mysore, 2000.
* Contribution and Patronage of Mysore Wodeyars to Carnatic Music -Published by Kannada Book Authority, Bangalore, India
* Apurva Vaggeya Kruthimanjari - Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
* Muthuswami Dikshithara Navagraha Krithigalu - Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
* Muthuswami Dikshithara NavaVarna Krithigalu - Published by D.V.K. Murthy, 2004
* Reminiscence of a Musician - Released as part of Prof. Ramarathnam's 90th Birthday Celebration in December 2006.
* Apurva Vaggeya Kruthimanjari (Vol ii) - released in 2007
* Padams and Javali's - released in 2009
(Last Updated on : 23-03-2015)
|More Articles in Carnatic Music (76)|