History of Our Lady of Ransom Church
Kanyakumari village is situated in the District of Kanyakumari which is the southern most part of the Indian subcontinent. The Kanyakumari Parish is associated with the mainstream Catholic faith in India. Our Lady of Ransom Church was constructed in the year 1914. Several tomb stones have been unearthed at Kumari Muttom, near Kanyakumari. These prove that Catholics were living there for many centuries. These tomb stones dates back to 1496 and has the edict of the local ruler that granted tax exemptions to the residents of Kumari Muttom. The aggregate income thus generated was used for the maintenance of the church. A second inscription found here dates back to 1526 AD.
In the year 1542 when St. Francis Xavier came to Cape Comorin he was pleased to see the 'Our Lady of Delights Grotto', at Kanyakumari. Later with time it became a centre for mission activities of the Jesuits from Thoothoor to Ramanathapuram. It is said that Our Lady of Delights Grotto, in which St. Francis Xavier worshiped. Later it became the church of Our Lady of Ransom.
The foundation stone for the Our Lady of Ransom Church was laid on 31st May 1900 by Rev. Fr. John Consolvez. Mr. Pakiam Pillai of the Vadakkankulam was the architect of the new church. The church has been built according to the ancient Gothic Art and culture. The length of the new Church is 153 feet, breath 53 feet and height is 153 feet. The wooden alter elegantly depicts the artistic Roman Art. This church remains part and parcel of the new church. In the year 1862 Kanyakumari was recognized as a separate parish. Many notable priests served as parish priests of the church. In 1914 Msgr. Vincent Fdo celebrated the First Mass in the newly built Church. In the year 2006 the parish celebrated the golden jubilee of the erection of the golden cross and 106th year of laying foundation of the church.
Social work of Our Lady of Ransom Church
Our Lady of Ransom Church has established many schools for promoting education among the students. The parish established an elementary school, St. Joseph Primary School in the year 1882. Several students here study the vernacular language. The parish also established a Higher Secondary School, St. Antony's Higher Secondary School in the year 1921.
|More Articles in Churches in Tamil Nadu (4)|