(Last Updated on : 03/06/2011)
The Churches and Convents at Velha (Old) Goa
owe their existence to the Portuguese rule. The churches depict the European architectural style and have been of much historical importance. These churches have been major tourist spots attracting visitors from all over the world.
Church Of St. Francis Of Assisi
Church of St.Francis of Assisi built in 1517-1521 AD is a 17th century pieces of religious art. It was built by the Franciscan friars, eight of whom came to Old Goa during that time. The church was earlier a chapel later built into a church.
Chapel Of St. Catherine
Chapel of St. Catherine situated in Old Goa is dedicated to St. Catherine. It stands as a living monument of the conquest of Goa by Alburquerque. The church is magnificently built laterite blocks and has a tower on both the sides of the facade.
Basilica of Bom Jesus
Basilica of Bom Jesus means Infant Jesus or Good Jesus. The church was built in 1695 and has emerged as a landmark in the history of Christianity. It contains the body of St. Francis Xavier; a member of the Society of Jesus. It has been acknowledged as a world heritage site.
Chapel and Tomb of St. Francis Xavier
The Chapel of St. Francis Xavier in Old Goa was dedicated to Saint Francis Xavier. The chapel was re-dedicated to him after his canonization in 1622. The chapel houses the mortal remains of the saint and is believed to have been built by Saint Francis himself.
S E Cathedral
Se Cathedral is one of the oldest churches in Goa. It is also one of the largest churches in Asia and it took eighty years to get completed. It is dedicated to Catherine of Alexandria and is located in Old Goa. The martyrdom of the saint is depicted in the central altars. Se cathedral has been declared a heritage site by UNESCO.
Church and Convent of St. Monica
The Church and the Convent of St. Monica was earlier called the Royal monastery. Sanctioned in 1598 and the church was erected by the Archbishop Dom Frei Alexio de Menezes. This church and convent is believed to be the first nunnery built in the east. It now houses an educational institute, the Theological Center of the Matar Dei.
The Church of Mae de Deus:
Church of Mae de Deus was built in 1873. The chief attraction of this church is the shrine of the Mae de Deus or Mother of God, which was brought from the ruins at Old Goa. The church is built in gothic style.
Chapel of St. Anthony
The Royal Chapel of St. Anthony erected in the 17th century is located in Panjim, the capital city of Goa. The church is dedicated to St. Anthony. The construction of the church was ceased in 1835 but in 1894 the renovation process was started by the last Governor General of Goa, Vassalo de Silva.
Church of Our Lady of the Mount
The Church of Our Lady of the Mount in Goa was built in 1557 by Alfonso de Albuquerque after his victory over the Goan Muslim ruler Yusuf Shah. The Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount faces the west side proving a view of Old Goa where Sultan Adil Shah had placed his artillery to guard the city from the Portuguese attack
Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary is one of the earliest churches of Old Goa
. It is situated in a place where Alphonso de Albuquerque guided his troops to victory in 1510. The church is said to have been erected by de Albuquerque as a mark for his victory.
Church of St. Cajetan
The Church of St. Cajetan is situated in Old Goa which is an imitation of the Basilica of St. Peter located in Rome. It was earlier known as the Church of Our Lady of Divine Providence. The St Cajetan church was built by the Italian friars of the order of Theatines.
Church of St. Peter
The church of St. Peter is one of the oldest churches of Old Goa having been raised in 15th century at the expense of the public treasury by the Portuguese architects. It is located on the way from Panaji to Old Goa.
Ruins of the Church of St. Augustine
The ruin of the Church of St. Augustine was built by 12 Augustian monks on 3rd September 1572. The construction of the church began in 1597 and it continued till 1602. However the Portuguese government had put a ban on the construction of the church hence it was abandoned by the monks. Thus the continued neglect of the church turned it into a ruined structure.