Diet Therapy for Whooping Chough
The diet should begin with the patient being placed on a fast, on orange juice and water for few days. He should be given the juice of an orange diluted with warm water. He should not be given milk or anything else. After the more sever symptoms have cleared, the patient should be placed on an exclusive diet of fresh fruits for a few days. In this course of therapy, one should take fresh juicy fruits such as pineapple, apple, orange and papaya. After further recuperation, he can take on a regular well balanced diet, according to his age. The emphasis should be on fresh fruit, fruit and vegetable juices and milk.
Water Therapy for Whooping Chough
The patient should be given tepid water enema on a daily basis during this period to cleanse the bowels. In case of constipation, a mild laxative, if possible castor oil should be administered. This will also reduce the pain in the abdominal muscles which are generally strained during the paroxysms of coughing. Cold packs should be applied to the throat and upper chest as required. Epsom salt baths will be favourable during this period.
When the restorative stage has been reached, the patient should be encouraged to spend as much time as possible out of doors.
Home Remedies for Whooping Chough
Certain home remedies have been found advantageous in the treatment of whooping cough.
1. The most successful of these remedies is the use of garlic. The syrup of garlic should be given in the dosage of 5 drops to a tablespoon 2 or 3 times a day for treating this condition. It should be given more often if the coughing spells are recurrent and violent.
2. Ginger is another helpful medication for whooping cough. A teaspoon of fresh ginger juice, mixed with a cup of fenugreek (methi) decoction and honey to taste, is an excellent diaphoretic. It acts as an expectorant in this disease.
3. Syrup prepared by mixing a teaspoon of fresh radish (muli) with equal quantity of honey and a little rock salt, is valuable in the healing of this disease. It should be given thrice on a daily basis.
4. Almond (badam) oil is valuable in whooping cough. It should be given mixed with 10 drops each of fresh white onion juice and ginger juice, on a daily basis thrice for a fortnight. It will provide relief to the patient.
5. Turmeric contains antibacterial and antiviral properties that help treat whooping cough. Drink warm milk mixed with half teaspoon of turmeric power twice a day to ease symptoms.
6. Another very effective home remedy is raw honey. Due to the presence of powerful antiseptic, antibacterial and healing properties, honey can kill the bacteria that cause the infection as well as ease symptoms.
7. Lemon can also help treat the bacteria naturally. The citric acid in lemon reduces the thickness of the mucus, and its strong antibacterial and antiviral properties help fight the infection.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Types of Cough
Causes of Cough
Treatment of Coughs
Raw Juice Therapy
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|