(Last Updated on : 11/01/2019)
Faridkot district derives its name from the headquarters town of Faridkot in Punjab founded by Mokalsi, grandson of Raja Manj, who ruled this territory during the 13th century and built a fort here. Among the men forced to work as labourers on the construction of this fort was one Baba Farid. He was observed to possess miraculous powers which were demonstrated amongst other ways by the fact that the basket full of mud which he was given to carry floated above his head without visible support. He was, therefore allowed to depart. The name of the place was changed to Faridkot after Baba Farid. It remained the capital during the reign of Mokalsi's son Jairsi and Wairsi.
Geography of Faridkot
Before 1996, Faridkot District was a part of Ferozepur
Division in Punjab
. In the year 1996, with a divisional headquarter, Faridkot division has been established which includes Faridkot, Bathinda
and Mansa districts
. It is situated between 29 degree 54 feet to 30 degree 54 feet north latitude and 74 degree 15 feet to 75 degree 25 feet east longitude. It lies in south west of the state and is surrounded by Ferozepur District
in the northwest, Moga
and Ludhiana Districts
in the north east and districts of Bathinda and Sangrur
in the south.
Tourism in Faridkot
There are several places in Faridkot which play a great role in the tourism
sector of Faridkot. Some of the places have been detailed below:
with its impressive architecture still adorns the city
of Faridkot. Its foundation is believed to have been laid by Raja Mokalsi; later Raka Hamir Singh renovated it and got it extended. Later rulers like Raja Bikram Singh, Raja Balbir singh got constructed many new buildings inside the fort complex. It housed the royal places Tosha Khana, Modi Khana and Treasury Buildings. There is a garden within the four walls of the fort. All the buildings are very well build and well furnished.
Raj Mahal (royal Palace) was built during the reign of Maharaja Bikrama Singh during 1885-1889 under the supervision of the, then Crowned Prince (Later Maharaja) Balbir Singh, who incidentally was the first to move in and start living in it. Spread over nearly 15 acres, it presented a magnificent look with French design, dominating grassy lawns a mid semi desert area of the State. Its entrance, called 'Raj Deori", itself is a heritage building of a vintage and now houses Balbir Hospital.
This beautiful bungalow is a well laid out garden place. All the rooms are finished in the most modern style. The guests from the sisterly states used Darbar Ganj for stay. The building has now been converted into Circuit House.
Rajsthan and Sirhind Canals: Rajasthan
Canal and Sirhind Feeder pass near the Faridkot town. Rajasthan canal was constructed during the year 1962 to carry the additional water from Sutlej
and Beas River
at Hari Ke Pattan to dry areas of Punjab.
Gurudwara Tibbi Sahib:
is located near Jaitu village. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji is said to have visited here on 15th April, 1706. Here Guru Ji stayed at a Sand Dune (Tibba) and practiced arrows shooting with other sikhs
. People congregate here on 10th Phagun every year in memory of the sikhs who scarified their lives during Jaitu Morcha and this is known as Shaheedi Jor Mela.
Visiting Information to Faridkot
Sri Guru Ram Das
Jee International Airport
and Faridkot railway station
are the nearest to this place. Faridkot can also be reached by road via National Highway