(Last Updated on : 08/06/2013)
Shaji N. Karun is a famous national award winning Indian film director of India. Besides being a director he is a cinematographer as well. He remained the Premiere Chairman of the Kerala
State Chalachitra Academy, the first academy for film and TV in the country and the Executive Chairman of International Film Festival of Kerala from 1998 to 2001. His films Piravi (1989), Vanaprastham
(1999) and Kutty Srank (2010) won awards.
Early Life of Shaji N. Karun
This extremely talented director was born on 1st January, 1952 in the present day Kerala to Mr. N. Karunakaran and Mrs. Chandramati. He studied at Palkulangara H.S. and did his graduation from University College, Thiruvananthapuram
Career of Shaji Karun
Shaji Karun entered as a director in the arena of film in the year 1988 with the Malayalam film "Piravi". His second film was Swaham (1994). He directed the film Nishad which was completed in May 2002. His latest film is named Kutty Srank. The film was released in Kerala on July 2010.
Vanaprasthnam is his third film. It was also his third to be selected at Cannes Film Festival. The film has been adjudged as the best film of the National film Festival of India in 1999 and has also won several National and International recognitions. "Nisad", his fourth film in Hindi language, completed in May 2002, and premiered in Fukuoka International Film Festival held September 2002 at Japan. His latest film was titled Kutty Srank with Mammootty
playing the lead role. The film won the best year film award at National Film Awards 2010. It was screened in over 45 international film festivals. The film was released theatrically in Kerala on July 2010. As a short filmmaker, he was awarded gold medal from the President of India in 1996 and won many honours from International Film Festivals.
Besides making films, Shaji Karun has been active as a juror at many international film festivals and an active participant in governmental and academic arenas. He was the premiere chairman of the Kerala State Chalachitra (Moving Picture) Academy, the first academy for Film and TV in India and was also the executive chairman of International Film Festival of Kerala from 1998 to 2001. In 2012, he directed the short film "Waiting" and in 2013 and 2014, Gaadha and Mohen jo Daro
will be released.
Awards and Milestones of Shaji N. Karun
This ace Malayalam director is the recipient of several national and international awards both as a director and a cinematographer.
International Awards of Shaji N. karun
* Cannes Film Festival, nominated for Palme d'Or (Best Film): Swaham (1994)
* Cannes Film Festival, Cam?ra d'Or (Special Mention): Piravi (1989)
* London Film Festival, Outstanding Film: Piravi (1989)
* Locarno International Film Festival, Grand Jury Prize (Silver Leopard): Piravi (1989)
* 1999 Cannes Film Festival: Vanaprastham was screened in the Un Certain Regard section of the festival (1999)
National Film Awards of Shaji N. Karun
* 2010 - Best Film - Kutty Srank
* 2000 - Best Film - Vanaprastham
* 1997 - Best Non-Feature Film - Sham's Vision (English)
* 1995 - Special Jury Award - Swaham
* 1989 - Best Film - (Producer) Piravi
* 1989 - Best Director - Piravi
* 1979 - Best Cinematographer (Black & White) - Thampu
State Film Awards of Shaji N. Karun
* 1999 - Best Director - Vanaprastham
* 1994 - Second Best Film - Swaham
* 1988 - Second Best Film - Piravi
* 1986 - Best Cinematographer - Oridathu
* 1979 - Best Cinematographer - Esthappan
* 1977 - Best Cinematographer - Kanchana Sita
As a cinematographer Shaji N. Karun won several awards. They are Eastman Kodak Award for the Excellence, Hawaii International Film Festival 1989, National Award for Film: Thampu (1979), The Awards from the Government of Kerala for Films: Kanchana Sita (1977), Estappan (1981), Onnumuthal Poojayam Vare(1986).
Personal Life of Shaji Karun
Shaji Karun married Anasuya Warrier. This couple is blessed with a son Anil who was born on 19 June 1976.
This legendary Indian director has also been honoured with Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1999 and Padma Shri