Nabadwip is located on the western bank of Bhagirathi River. The place is associated with the arrival of Vaishnab religion in West Bengal and the birth of Lord Sri Chaitanya. Sri Chaitanya was a renowned social reformer of 16th Century as well as a religious leader of Vaishnabism and Bhakti cult. Nabadwip was once the capital of the ruler of Sena dynasty, Lakshman Sena, from 1179 to 1203. Nabadwip houses a number of temples and pilgrimage sites. Dwadas Shib Mandir which was constructed in 1835 is one of the most popular temples and exhibits enchanting floral designs.
Mayapur is located across the Bhagirathi River, just opposite to Nabadwip. It is also believed as the birth place of Lord Sri Chaitanya by some schools of thought. Important temples of the region include Saraswat Adwaita Math, ISKCON temple of A. C. Bhaktivedanta and Chaitanya Gaudiya Math.
Shantipur is situated in the Ranaghat Sub-division of Nadia district. It is considered as the centre of Sanskrit literature and learning, Vedic texts and scriptures since ancient time of ninth century. Topkhana Mosque is one of the major attractions of the place that was built by Fauzder Gazi Mohammad Yaar Khan during the rule of Aurangzeb, Mughal Emperor. Other significant sites of Shantipur are Shayam Chand Temple, exhibiting traditional 'Aatchala' style; Jaleswar Temple with intricate terracotta designs and Adwaita Prabhu Temple. Taant Sari of this region is widely acclaimed throughout the India. Shantipur is also famous for being the birth place of Poet Krittibas, the composer of Bangali Ramayana.
Palashi is historically significant for the Battle of Plassey which was fought here in 1757. The battle marked the initiation of British Empire in India. The place also houses a memorial stone, marking the victory of British, which was erected in the year 1883.
Ballal Dhipi is situated near Bamanpukur Bazar. Excavations by the Archaeological Survey of India were started here in the year 1980. Excavations furnished structural complex exhibiting a unique style and spanning a large area around a high mound (Dhipi).
Shivaniwas is another pilgrimage site situated in Krishnaganj Block of the district. The capital of Raja Krishna Chandra Rai was once temporarily shifted to Shivaniwas from Krishnanagar owing to the threat of attack by the Marathi raiders and Bargis. Raj Rajeswar Temple is a famous temple of this region built in 1754, which was named after Lord Shiva. The temple houses a Shivalinga which is considered to be the largest in Asia. Ram-Sita temple and Ragniswar temple were constructed in 1762, forming a composite structure. It is locally called Buro-Shib Mandir and represents a Gothic style of architecture.
Krishnanagar is located along the bank of Jalangi River. The place is named after Raja Krishna Chandra Rai who has built the Rajbari which serve as a significant tourist attraction. The place is also famed as the birth place of Sri Dwijendra Lal Roy who was a prominent poet, composer and playwright and had substantial contribution in the Bengali Literature. Krishnanagar also hosts a Protestant Church, established in 1840 and a Roman Catholic Cathedral built in 1898. Clay models of Krishnanagar are very famous and are centred at Ghurni. The artisans of this region have acquired huge acclamation around the globe for their exquisite craftsmanship.
Bethuadahari is a forest area and an extended deer park. It was established in the year 1980 with the aim of preserving the bio-diversity of the central Gangetic alluvial zone. Common species found in the forest are Python, Porcupine, Jungle Cat, Snake, Monitor Lizard and a huge variety of birds.
Archeological Tourism in Nadia
Nadia also hosts a number of age old monuments and temples which serve as famous tourist spots. Raghbeswar Temple, Dignagar; Shyamchand Temple, Shantipur; Palpara Temple, Palpara; Bamanpukur Mound of Fort, Bamanpukur; Bramha Samaj , Santipur; Adwaitaprabhu Mandir, Santipur and Topkhana Mosjid, Shantipur are some of the significant archaeological assets of the district.
A number of attractive destinations in Nadia district have greatly augmented the tourism of the district. Tourists from different parts of the world visit these places to explore the historical as the well as religious aspects of the district.