(Last Updated on : 24/07/2010)
Mahiari is a ' census town' situated in Howrah district of the eastern state of India, West Bengal. It is located in the north of Sankrail at a distance of 3 km. The town is strategically located near NH 6. Howrah and Kolkata are located at a distance of 15 km. from Mahiari. Santragachi is in the north of Mahiari while Baniara is in its west. The nearest access points are Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport and Maurigram Railway Station. Perched at a height of 6 metres (19 feet) above mean sea level, geographically, the town is located between 22.59° North latitude and 88.24° East longitude.
The Indian Census report published in 2001 states that Mahiari had a population of 15,422. In Mahiari, 10% of the population is less than six years of age. Males account for 51% of the population while females constitutes the remaining 49%. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the town, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 81% and the female literacy rate is 73%.
The prime attractions in the vicinity of Mahiari are Howrah Bridge, Belur Mutt, Indian Botanic Garden, and Bally Bridge
More on West Bengal
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Cities
|• ||History of Chennai|
Chennai, formerly known as Madras, is the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu and is India`s fourth largest city. History of Chennai encompasses the events of the south Indian history, colonialism and then the massive growth of the city during the 20th century.
Kiriburu is situated in the state of Jharkhand. Kiriburu is a residential locale in West Singhbhum district and is situated at a height of 4,300ft from man sea level. It is one of the twin hill stations along with Meghahatuburu.
Unakoti is an archaeological venue in Tripura. This spot also has the importance of pilgrimage tourism. It is a Shaivite place of offering worships with idols and rock-cut images of Lord Shiva and other Hindu deities.
|• ||Lal Mahal|
Lal Mahal of Pune is one of the most famous monuments of Pune. It was built during the rule of Marathas. Shivaji stayed there for many years until he had captured his first fort.
|• ||Lotus Mahal in Hampi|
Lotus Mahal, also called, Chitragani Mahal and Kamal Mahal, is located in the Zenana enclosure of Hampi. It was built in the Indo-Islamic style. It is believed that the royal women used to come here to mingle during evening.