(Last Updated on : 21/07/2014)
Mainaguri is a 'census town' situated in the Jalpaiguri district of the eastern state of India, West Bengal. Geographically, this town is located between 26.57° North latitude and 88.82° East longitude at an altitude of 84 metres (275 feet) above mean sea level. It is situated in the northeast of Jalpaiguri at a distance of 10 km and 66 km from the city of Siliguri. It is surrounded by the towns of Neora Nadi, Dhupgari, Goyerkata and Changrabandha. The nearest airport is the Civil Enclave Bagdogra and the nearest railway station is the New Maynaguri Railway Station.
Mainaguri is known as the 'Gate of Duars' and is a significant tourist destination.
The Jalpesh Shiva Temple is located at a distance of 3 km. from Mainaguri. Other prime attractions in the vicinity include the Gorumara National Park and the Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary. The Jalpesh Mela held at Jalpesh Shiva Temple near Mainaguri attracts devotees from far and near.
As per the Indian Census report of 2001, Mainaguri had a population of 27,086. Out of it, the males' account for 51% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 49%. In Mainaguri, 11% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mainaguri is 75%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 80% and the female literacy rate is 70%.
More on West Bengal
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Cities
|• ||History of Chennai|
Chennai, formerly known as Madras, is the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu and is India`s fourth largest city. History of Chennai encompasses the events of the south Indian history, colonialism and then the massive growth of the city during the 20th century.
Kiriburu is situated in the state of Jharkhand. Kiriburu is a residential locale in West Singhbhum district and is situated at a height of 4,300ft from man sea level. It is one of the twin hill stations along with Meghahatuburu.
Unakoti is an archaeological venue in Tripura. This spot also has the importance of pilgrimage tourism. It is a Shaivite place of offering worships with idols and rock-cut images of Lord Shiva and other Hindu deities.
|• ||Lal Mahal|
Lal Mahal of Pune is one of the most famous monuments of Pune. It was built during the rule of Marathas. Shivaji stayed there for many years until he had captured his first fort.
|• ||Lotus Mahal in Hampi|
Lotus Mahal, also called, Chitragani Mahal and Kamal Mahal, is located in the Zenana enclosure of Hampi. It was built in the Indo-Islamic style. It is believed that the royal women used to come here to mingle during evening.